tap water help

crossleymarko

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2009
bolton uk
hello .

im really struggleing to find chloramine or chlorine in my water.. ive used chlorine test strips and ive also done the amonia test.. i cant see anything..
long story short i want to see the difference between my tap and filtered drip system to my tank...

here is my report from the water company,,

Analysis Typical Value UK/EU limit Units
Hardness Level Very Soft
Hardness Clarke 1.400 Clarke
Aluminium 25.5 200 µg Al/l
Calcium 7.34 mg Ca/l
Residual chlorine - Total 0.56 mg/l
Residual chlorine - Free 0.52 mg/l
Coliform bacteria 0 0 number/100ml
Colour <0.976 20 mg/l Pt/Co scale
Conductivity 57.4 2500 uS/cm at 20oC
Copper <0.0036 2 mg Cu/l
E.coli 0 0 number/100ml
Iron <4.47 200 µg Fe/l
Lead <0.318 10 µg Pb/l
Magnesium 0.663 mg Mg/l
Manganese <0.919 50 µg Mn/l
Nitrate <1.18 50mg NO3/l
Sodium 4.38 200 mg Na/l

cheers hope you can make it out

crossleymarko

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2009
bolton uk
came accross this on the chloramine wiki page

Testing for Chloramine

There is no direct chemical method for measuring chloramine. Chloramine is indirectly estimated by calculating from the results of total and free chlorine. Since total chlorine is the sum of free chlorine and chloramine, the chloramine therefore is total chlorine less free chlorine.[1]
Typical Total/Free Chlorine test kit - Jungle Labs Chlorine/Chloramine Test strips kit
Chlorine/Chloramine Test Kit
Hach CN-70 Free and total Chlorine Test kits
There appears to be virtual no Chloramine test kits for sale in the UK sold by aquarium shops. There is however quite a few pool or pond test kits with this test included. For example: 7-Way Test strips - Pure Pool UK.

so the above quote means i have 0.04mgl chloramine??? is that right.. would that even be harmful??

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The list from your water company tells the water composition as it leaves the plant.
It may lose some residual as it travels the distribution system, if you are far from the plant it would be less, but chloramine is very stable.
Here in the US only a trace of residual is mandated at far reaches of the distribution system
Total chlorine means "chloramine", 0.56ppm
Free chlorine means "straight chlorine", 0.52 ppm
There are test strips from swimming pool companies that you could use, but they must be able to test the low range from 0.5 to to 1.5ppm.
Many pool tests use a much higher residual, 2-4ppm
If you get strips above that range, they won't register.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store