so i finally got pothos in my sump ! :)

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
but im curious if there ok to be mostly submerged ?? the container I have them in inside my sump is large but the plant sinks pretty far down and some leaves and such are under water is that ok and safe ?

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
The submerged leaves will rot off.

Id move the plant up or clip the leaves.

There's a good chance that the nodes where you clipped thr leaves will sprout roots underwater anyway

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
well guess I need to figure out how to hold the plant up then as it sinks to the bottom and some leave get submerged in the water

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
In my sump for my 90g I put a small container into the lid of my sump. It had some holes drilled in it and is fed by a small 9w 185gph pump
its just a butchered up sterlite container. I did this because I like to keep a low water level in my sump for the event of a power outage.

On my 75g I drilled 1" holes into that little plastic strip that goes behind glass tops, I dangled the pothos through the holes and tied some twist ties (like from a loaf of bread) loosly around the stalks so they couldnt fall through the lid.

Ive heard of other members using plastic mesh shower caddies with suction cups as planters also

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
yea I just adjusted and messed with the plant, and got em all out of water now. So hopefully these things work as good as i hope lol

jstanley_06

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Midwest Indiana
+1 on shower caddies. that is how I get my clones of my pothos "marble queen" to root. I keep some in one of my hob filters on my planted tank. as has been mentioned, leaves are terrestrial and cannot be submerged. they r super easy to propagate this way. if you are anything like me there will be pothos starts all around the house lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store