Green terror tank mates

Unratedaccount

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2014
Vallejo, California
So I have a 3 and a half to 4 inch green terror alone in my 55 gallon. I want to have somemore tank mates. I was thinking a convict because they are smaller in size, and are aggresive just like the green terror, I know I want some kind of cichlid tank mate. I want a medium sized one (convict, firemouth, jack Dempsey, ect) I have dual aqeuon 75 quietflow filters. Could I go for a breeding pair? Or should I go for a dither like giant danios. Anyway leave me some suggestions please.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Giant danios would work, if doing a convict; get a baby so it can't maul your GT.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Thomas Hagel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2015
Denmark
There are lots of options of medium sized, but hardy cichlids to choose from

Off the top of my head Amphilophus Longimanus, Herichthys Deppii, Andinoacara Pulcher, Cichlasoma Amazonarum, etc. are all examples of fish where your GT should be able to keep the upper hand, but not kill them

There are tons more, just be sure if you choose to add other cichlids to the tank, that it is plenty big enough, and has lots of hiding places

If i were you i'd go the regular dither route, a shoal of some kind

Thomas Hagel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2015
Denmark
Oops, missed the part that said 55 gallon for some reason.

Yeah i'd definetly go the regular small dither route, no question.

Mad wolf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2014
Syracuse New York
I have a 6" male GT, with a male also 6" RD, a 4" female JD, 3" female Convict, 7" tinfoil Barb, and 8" Pleco in a 90 gallon. Occasional chase here and there but no fin damage or casualties so far. My Green Terror rules the roost.

Mad wolf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2014
Syracuse New York
On a side note though... I seperated my GT for a week, and changed the tank decor when I added the RD. he ruled for the week, until GT came back..... Almost immediate tank domination when my GT returned.

Sfgiant_cichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2015
Las Vegas
i have fam in vallejo lol

i would not keep a JD along with a Gt in a 55 ..maybe 2 in a 75 it might work but thats just my opinion.
i would throw in a 1 salvini and 1 convict.. 6 buenos aires tetras or columbian tetras and 2 bushy nose plecos

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
In such a small tank, I think one other fish may result in aggression. I would add at least two other fish to disperse the aggression. A convict would be an ok choice along with maybe a firemouth or similar sized cichlid. Also I had a setup (a 75) with the same filtration and don't take this wrong but the aqeuon 55/75 hobs are not that great once bio-load goes up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store