How much fishfood for cycling?

saradomin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2014
Canada
I'm cycling my 125 gallon with some fish food. How many pellets should I add? I added a bottle of Fluval Bio Enhancer to start the cycle.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
I wouldn't cycle a tank with fish food. You'll end up with a foul-smelling mess.

It would be a lot easier to cycle the tank with pure ammonia, which you can find at an Ace Hardware store. The main thing is to get ammonia that doesn't contain any surfactants or other cleaning solutions, dyes, etc. (checking for surfactants is easy -- shake the bottle and look for suds or soap bubbles; but for other ingredients, you'll need to check the label).

Here is a good guide for fishless cycling.
http://www.cpp.edu/~jskoga/Aquariums/Ammonia.html

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana

saradomin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2014
Canada
I already put the food in before this post. My ammonia is at 0.25ppm. Will it increase as the food breaks down further?

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
Yes the ammonia will increase as the food breaks down.

***60 gallon with 1 Flowerhorn, 10 Mollies and 1 Musk Turtle, 4 Angelfish temporarily with my mom***

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I've used both fish food and ammonia. For fish food, I used an amount that was equivalent to the size and quantity of fish I planned to put into the tank--at the time they were going in (not when they were full grown. Small fish = small food.) Ammonia is more accurate, but if it's food, just don't "over feed." For ammonia, there is a sticky on how much to use (although when I was doing it, there wasn't information, so I just dropped a cap full in each day.)

I don't recall it smelling bad from food or ammonia, but I like the way a tank smells even after feeding, so I guess my opinion isn't going to help much.

You don't have to add a lot of stuff since the bacteria population will grow as your fish grow. You just have to have enough bacteria to match the size of the fish at the time you put them in the tank and then when you get the fish be careful to slowly increase the amount food you feed.

paopanlilio

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
makati
ammonia is the best cycling method, but i also tried a huge shrimp for cycling and it also worked well, i bought a coup[le of pounds of shrimp took 2 pieces and placed them in womans stockings hung it in the tank and cooked the rest for dinner

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store