Pet insurance.

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
Just wondering if anyone has pet insurance to cover their rays, fish in general. As we all know these animals are expensive to purchase, no matter what the species and as my collection is growing it's got me thinking more about what if the tank blows or we have a major power cut and I haven't brought a generator yet etc etc.

In the uk we can take pet insurance out on dogs, cats, parrots etc but I don't know about fish specifically. Assuming household insurance would cover a broken tank as long as it's a specified item on the policy - I'll be checking this out with my insurer.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Don't think it's possible

You can try if you want but I don't think it will happen

My tank is covered via household insurance

I had dog and cat insurance which was costing me £60 per month but I stopped it I now put £60 per month into a separate pet savings account as I have had no pet problems for over 2 years that account has over £1500 in it if they need treatment

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
You can purchase pet insurance for tropical fish in the US. However, said insurance does not cover you for the monetary value of the fish if it dies. The insurance is solely to cover veterinary costs incurred during treatment of the fish from illness or injury.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Have you ever came across a vet that treated fish? I'm just curious.

Around here its hard to find a doc that'll touch anything smaller than a dog or cat. Ironically the large animal (livestock) vets seem to be the most eager to take on exotics from my experience.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
Don't think it's possible

You can try if you want but I don't think it will happen

My tank is covered via household insurance

I had dog and cat insurance which was costing me £60 per month but I stopped it I now put £60 per month into a separate pet savings account as I have had no pet problems for over 2 years that account has over £1500 in it if they need treatment

Very wise Richard and sound advice.

So often you hear about these insurers looking for every conceivable reason as to why they shouldn't pay out, this way the money is there.

rayrayray

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
uk
Im pretty sure no insurance in the uk covers fish mike,when i used to have glass tanks on a few occasions i had large ones blow on me,insurance always covered the tank and any damage that was caused,but never the fish.Generators are a must,ive had to fire mine up a fair few times,i wouldnt be with out them.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
You can purchase pet insurance for tropical fish in the US. However, said insurance does not cover you for the monetary value of the fish if it dies. The insurance is solely to cover veterinary costs incurred during treatment of the fish from illness or injury.
I wouldn't even bother with that type of insurance I can truthfully say in 35 years of keeping fish I have never had to or herd of anyone calling out and paying for vet treatment

I do know a few people who have have had vet friends come and look at a sick fish as a friend but not pay for vet services
Not saying it doesn't happen but we can get most info we need online and don't need a perception for most fish meds

To be fair if your not a competent fish keeper you shouldn't really be spending thousands on fish

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
I wouldn't even bother with that type of insurance I can truthfully say in 35 years of keeping fish I have never had to or herd of anyone calling out and paying for vet treatment

I do know a few people who have have had vet friends come and look at a sick fish as a friend but not pay for vet services
Not saying it doesn't happen but we can get most info we need online and don't need a perception for most fish meds

To be fair if your not a competent fish keeper you shouldn't really be spending thousands on fish

Totally agree Richard, if you don't know what you're doing you should think twice before shelling out big money on fish, on anything for that matter, however as they say "a fool and his money are soon parted".

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
Im pretty sure no insurance in the uk covers fish mike,when i used to have glass tanks on a few occasions i had large ones blow on me,insurance always covered the tank and any damage that was caused,but never the fish.Generators are a must,ive had to fire mine up a fair few times,i wouldnt be with out them.
On the subject of glass tank blowouts, have you gone away from glass and more towards acrylic? I know both can pop.

I'm intending on a roughly 8x4 or 9x5 (prefer the latter) tank in my summerhouse to move the rays into. But I'm bit worried about the bloody thing popping one day. Guess if it does it does, I can't really go round worrying about it all the time, but 'prevention' is better than cure, so if acrylic is statistically stronger and less likely to go I may go for acrylic.

Any way, yep the household insurance covers me if the tank does blow and any remedial work to the property.

I think my best 'insurance' has to be water quality, which is easy enough to do with my regime I feel.

Back up plan will be a petrol generator, spare boxed heaters and external bucket in case and also one of those blue pop up koi stock tanks.

That should cover it.

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
I think its not worth it. Ive explored that here in aus but cant find an insurer to do it. They just cover cats and dogs. Considering the premium, you better off saving it in case the worst happens. Sometimes its better also to buy a replacement pet than go through the vet bills - well some people get too much attachment that they are willing to spend $ks just for their pets whilst the cost to replace is just a few hundreds.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store