What house plants can be used?

andy1985

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2007
London
Hi I was wondering what plants can be used. I have tried Stromanthe but has only lasted a few months not sure what went wrong I have a jewel aquarium which comes with an built in filter so I strip it out and placed the plant into the filter box.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Stromanthe cannot stand sitting in water.

Pothos, (But not in a pot), Spathiphyllum, and a large number of semi aquatics - including several aroids, many ferns, irises, rushes, reeds, some grasses, and so forth - all depending on how much light there is.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Pothos is best cause it's low light requirement plants and notoriously work perfect for Nitrate.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I also use Epiprenum (pothos) in most tanks, only parts of the stem and roots can be submerged, most stem and leaves should be above the water line otherwise they will rot. The roots provide great plces for fish to feel comfortable, but also tend to accumulate detritus, but most plants do that anyway.

If you float a branch, or log, the roots will eventually work their way in.

I also like to use bog plants such as papyrus where there is enough space and light, but be warned it grows very tall.

Been using Mexican milkweed (Asclepas curassavica) in my out door ponds, and am going to try it inside after this coming summer, it has a beautiful flower.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
think peace lily maybe an option. toxic to cats

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
+1 on pothos. Works wonders. Anything else I have tried has been sub-par. Chinese evergreen works at lower temperatures.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store