Drip System Questions

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I'm going to try and make a DIY drip system. First I want to say please do not bash me for this as I don't know a whole lot about them. There is a faucet and drain probably no more than two feet away from my tank in the basement. The faucet is cold only, is this ok to run a drop at about .5 gallons per hour? I'll be using a pvc type overflow that I saw on YouTube. Second thing is there too much chlorine running it straight from the tap to the tank or do I need to have some type of carbon? I'm trying to keep this on the cheap side because I don't have a ton of money to blow on it or I would buy a system. My tap chlorine runs at 0.5-1 mg/L. I plan on using 1/4" tubing for the drip and drain. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
The water temp is not real important, as you're not dripping fast enough to affect the tank's temperature. Your heater can keep up with the cold water drip. Chlorine is a problem, though. I think if you have ONLY CHLORINE in your municipal water system, then you could get away with dripping unfiltered/untreated water since chlorine gasses out of solution pretty quick.

BUT, chloramine is pretty bad stuff, kills your beneficial bacteria and probably your fish, and needs to be filtered or removed. I bought a carbon block filter system. Some people use nothing and have no problems, but they have big mature fish in big systems, they have high tolerance for risk, I don't know. I think most people here would say filter the chlorine/chloramine out of the drip. that's what I do.

Even if your city doesn't use chloramine, I'd still use a carbon block filter because they all want to use chloramine, and will probably not call to warn you if they ever go over to it.

But, I've heard several people here just drip, don't filter, and don't have problems. Very hard to say.

When you tee into your cold water line, don't use a saddle valve. I saw some guy here recommend that last year, I followed that recommendation, and I'm glad I did. When they leak, you're gonna be replacing some fittings for $20-30, so just spend the $20-30 on the right fittings right off the bat--then you won't have to fix the leak. It's not expensive, it's just the time. Easier to just do it right the first time.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
The water temp is not real important, as you're not dripping fast enough to affect the tank's temperature. Your heater can keep up with the cold water drip. Chlorine is a problem, though. I think if you have ONLY CHLORINE in your municipal water system, then you could get away with dripping unfiltered/untreated water since chlorine gasses out of solution pretty quick.

BUT, chloramine is pretty bad stuff, kills your beneficial bacteria and probably your fish, and needs to be filtered or removed. I bought a carbon block filter system. Some people use nothing and have no problems, but they have big mature fish in big systems, they have high tolerance for risk, I don't know. I think most people here would say filter the chlorine/chloramine out of the drip. that's what I do.

Even if your city doesn't use chloramine, I'd still use a carbon block filter because they all want to use chloramine, and will probably not call to warn you if they ever go over to it.

But, I've heard several people here just drip, don't filter, and don't have problems. Very hard to say.

When you tee into your cold water line, don't use a saddle valve. I saw some guy here recommend that last year, I followed that recommendation, and I'm glad I did. When they leak, you're gonna be replacing some fittings for $20-30, so just spend the $20-30 on the right fittings right off the bat--then you won't have to fix the leak. It's not expensive, it's just the time. Easier to just do it right the first time.
Awesome, thank you. I think I'm just going to go ahead and look for a carbon block.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
You may want to check out our Articles forum. Very good info on drips with photos and material recommendation.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Thefilterguys.biz is who I got mine from. There's lots of different types of filter systems available, I just called them and they made a recommendation. I'd have bought way more stuff than I needed, they straightened me out. Good guys to deal with.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store