Used Tank

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Just wondering if a tank used for turtles can be used for fish. I read somewhere that you never want to use a reptile tank for fish as reptiles leave something behind that can hurt the fish. This is a very large tank so it will be a pain to clean thoroughly unlike smaller tanks.

Thanks!

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
bleach it, scrub it, rinse it, and repeat. I'm using an ex-turtle tank for my african biotope and I don't have any issues.

make sure it was actually built as an aquarium with braces and good silicone etc.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Some reptile tanks have thinner glass then what's needed to hold a full tank of water. Check the thickness then see what thickness it needs to be for an aquarium. You don't want the glass to flex too much and separate the silicone. As far as cleaning I would use vinegar and scrub it, rinse and repeat a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
It is acrylic, so no worries of silicone. I would have to figure out the same way to clean it so I do not scratch the acrylic. The pain is that the tank is a 300g which makes it much harder to clean. Cant exactly rinse it easily, especially in the middle of winter in the northeast.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I feel you, I have an acrylic 310 in my garage that needs cleaned...I'll be damned if I'm doing that with the 1.5' snow around my garage haha.

a sponge works wonders for cleaning though haha. shouldnt scratch it bad if at all.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Its more of do I want to buy new or used and have to worry about cleaning. I have been able to get quotes for acrylic tanks that are 7ft x 2.5ft x 2ft for about $2200 brand new. Used tanks in that size range seem to still be about $1500 unless you get really lucky. Trying to decide if it just makes more sense to buy new and forget about a crazy amount of cleaning.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
ouch...mines 7x3x2. I paid 350.

I still wouldn't buy new. thats 700 extra bucks you can blow on filters or livestock imo.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store