Rio Grande 500 Gal educational tank. Questions and discussion thread

WildLand

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2015
New Mexico
Hey all.

So back story of this tank is that it is housed in a environmental center and is for New Mexico Rio Grande natives. It is 500 gallons and currently houses a flathead cat and 2 longnose gars. I am involved with an internship with the center and am caring for the tank! I am very excited to work with such a large tank and large fish.

The director wants more Rio Grande Native Fish and here is the list that they want: American eel, speckled chub, gizzard shad, smallmouth buffalo, and/or river carpsuckers. They want to show how the natural Rio Grande looked.

I at least want an algae eater like some river carpsuckers to stir up some of the sediment on the bottom.

FIRST TOPIC: ALGAE

First question. How do I get rid of this blue/green algae?

I've tried water changes, a physical removal and it grew back over the weekend, and suctioning it out.
I know an algae eater wont eat this kind but will a bottom fish stir up the sediment enough for the algae to not grow?

Next question. I read that fast growing plants will help reduce the algae by taking up the nitrates before the algae can use it. What would be the best plants to have with these fish?

More topics and questions are to come. :) thanks for your help!

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I don't like it, it would be much better if it were in my living room.

WildLand

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2015
New Mexico
Thank you!

I guess I don't want to get rid of it completely (because I agree it does look good), I just want to slow it down a little so it doesn't mat the whole ground. I want to see some rocks and sand and not have it suffocate the plants that I plan to put in.
With that. What are some good plants that can stand 60-70 degree temperature, kind of fast growing, and tall. Or would just look good in general?

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
Great tank.some algae can be slowed by reducing the lighting,is it on timer? Also check the bulb,most only last a year or so,then the intensity drops,sometimes creating the ideal lower intensity for some types of algae.add some pothos plants to the sump or rig an area above the tank with roots into the water,for nitrate help and to outcompete the algae.oh and maybe you can add texas cichlids(cyano) they are called rio grande cichlids!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store