Keeping the pups with the giants

skynoch

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
edmonton alberta canada
All my pup tanks are filled right now so when Mom (in the foreground) gave birth this time I was on holidays in Mexico and all the pups made a break into the main tank from a floating tank I had. I did lose two over the time I was there since I took my feedings down from when I was away but now that I'm home I upped the feedings and have kept them in there with no problems since. The little guys are feeding on the mess left from the bigger fish feeding and seem to be doing well.
The little guy in the middle is about a 7-8" pup.

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
If that little guy is 7-8" then those other rays gotta be 3 feet across.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Nice but I would be too scared to try. Yes those rays are most likely huge as it's a 2200 gallon if I remember correct and the adults aren't spring chickens.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Lol, that pup looks tiny. Hope she/he is getting enough food. Looks great by the way.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
It all depends on the adults and how much you feed

I have put

2 pearls
2 hybrid
1 bd

All 5-6" disk with 28.3/4" rays with no problems

When my rays give birth I can leave new born pup in with the adults a 28" Asian aro a 28"+ Tigrinus cat and a 24"+ dat
All the above fish have grown up with pups so don't show them any interest when pups first pop out they even hide under the tig

The only problem is making sure they get food and getting them feeding
It's just a case of over feeding a bit

It is scary I would be lying if I said it wasn't

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

skynoch

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
edmonton alberta canada
If that little guy is 7-8" then those other rays gotta be 3 feet across.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Ya the female castexi is around there and the others are smaller. My male tiger which is close to 7 years old is my smallest ray in there.

Nice but I would be too scared to try. Yes those rays are most likely huge as it's a 2200 gallon if I remember correct and the adults aren't spring chickens.
Ya it's in the 2200 gallon tank and at least a couple times a day I'm searching around and counting to make sure they are all there.

Lol, that pup looks tiny. Hope she/he is getting enough food. Looks great by the way.
There are 11 of them in there now and they would be 2 weeks old. When I look at them they all look to be in good health except the one which recieved a big bite while I was gone but it looks to be eating and recovering nicely.

It all depends on the adults and how much you feed

I have put

2 pearls
2 hybrid
1 bd

All 5-6" disk with 28.3/4" rays with no problems

When my rays give birth I can leave new born pup in with the adults a 28" Asian aro a 28"+ Tigrinus cat and a 24"+ dat
All the above fish have grown up with pups so don't show them any interest when pups first pop out they even hide under the tig

The only problem is making sure they get food and getting them feeding
It's just a case of over feeding a bit

It is scary I would be lying if I said it wasn't

It is working so far with the overfeeding method as the pups are getting the little pieces of food. Quite a few bigger fish in with them not sure which ones scare me the most the plecos or the mid-top level swimmers when the babies are off the bottom swimming. All in all not sure without overfeeding how long before the other fish would be before snacking.

Bout time you show back up. Lol

Castexi hybrid pup?

When do we get to see pics of the entire collection skynoch?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Kinda back, I'm usually slower this time of year at work so I planned on having some pups out for this time, what I didn't plan on was having 24 pups. I'm slowly getting some pics of the pups but some of my tanks have horrible lighting and the pics don't turn out

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Congrats on all the pups!

With a tank that big the pups would have alot better chance than in our tanks

I looked through a bunch of your photobucket pics alot of nice stuff!

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Very nice, would love to see the Tiger. 7 yrs old and your smallest ray. They must be slow growers to reach the reported size potentials of 48" or just takes 20 yrs.

rayrayray

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
uk
I know people get away with it,there is something nice about seeing pups swimming along the big rays,
i would never risk it any more,ive lost a few tails in the past when have tried and is very sad to see this happen.
Good luck with yours,great group of rays

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store