Arowana gasping after 30% water change

05spurky

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2013
Cherry Valley, IL
My arowana is acting strange and gasping for air 1 day after I did a water change. All water perameters appear to be same as before change, except nitrates lower, nothing unusual.....so I am confused. Just added carbon to get rid of algae chemicals that added in the event the chemicals have something to do with the odd behavior. Any ideas?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8.0 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Unratedaccount

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2014
Vallejo, California
Was the tempature you added right? IME fish get really stressed and can die if you don't make sure that the tempature is spot on. I may be incorrect so don't take my word for it.

05spurky

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2013
Cherry Valley, IL
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked temperature the other day and today and all checked out okay. ........and today he is still swimming around dazed, but not gasping as much. Id say there is a 50 50 chance he's going to make it.

appak

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2014
toronto
What do you mean by "algae chemicals"?

If you mean something like excel, double check and then triple check that you didn't overdose, and be prepared to do some massive water changes asap. I know this from experience. The end result sucked.

05spurky

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2013
Cherry Valley, IL
I doubled checked and i actually put in enough algae chems for 120 gallons even though the tank is 180. I recently exchanged more of the water thinking maybe the algae preventative chems caused the problem. However, My prized ray is now also will exhibiting signs of illness. Although the aro seems to be getting better the ray has taken a turn for the worse.

csaechao

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2008
Algae remover chemical has been bad news from my previous experience. I once put a little bit in my tank just to give it a try and all of the fish died within the next few days other than my datnoids. They were gasping also. I would keep doing a large WC everyday. Hopefully yours are okay.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
Algar remover is lethal in high doses even smaller doses can affect certian fish. Whatever my bristlenose plecos dont remove stays in the tank.

05spurky

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2013
Cherry Valley, IL
Yeah, I agree......it must be the algae remover chemicals. I cant seem to find anything else. Never affected them before, but must be now. My ray is doing the death curl.....so not looking good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store