questions about using chemicals?

keeno2086

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2015
kingston, uk
hey mfk,
I recently visited a friend I haven’t seen in a few years.this friend keeps tropical fish. so we started talking about his fish and thefish I have. I gave him a hand with a water change while I was there.

I was shocked to discover that he uses no chemicals what soever. literally just empties half of his tank, and refills using standard tapwater. when I asked him about it he said that he has never used waterconditioners or anything like that. what was more surprising to me is that allof his fish (mostly south American cichlids) are beauties, no fading, all lookperfect.

he also says that a few other people he knows just use waterstraight from the tap. this has now got me thinking, because I use a ton ofchemicals. my philosophy is that id rather go over board to stop any problemsbefore they happen, but it does cost me a fair bit a month. now im thinkingmaybe I should cut back on what I use and see what happens.

the products I use regularly are:
api stress coat
api stress zyme
api quick start

I also use these products in my filter:
api aqua detox
fluval zeo carb (a mix of active carbon and something elseto remove ammonia)
fluval premium ammonia remover
fluval clear max (phosphate remover)

so my questions to all you monster fish keepers are:
im I going over board?
if you do use products what are they??

or do you just use tap water???

thanks for any replies!

I just use Prime. No need for anything else.

By the way, if he doesn't treat tap water, then that's great for him, I guess his local tap water is fine. But that's not the case in every case.

In my case, my tap water smells like pool water sometimes!!

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I have well water, dont use any conditioners, but have Prime on standby for the occasional use/possible emergency ammonia spike.

Boondocks

Feeder Fish
Jan 27, 2015
AL
In my opinion your going over board. 90% of the time water conditioner is all you need. Prime is by far the most cost efficient in this regard. I use to use Epsom salt as a preventative every once in awhile, but now I just soak the food.

I only use quick start when I'm adding a new filter or setting up a new tank with some media from my old filters. It's probably unnecessary, but it makes me feel better.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Boondocks, Prime isn't the most cost effective. If chloramines are used in your water Safe (basically dry prime) is the most cost effective. If you are lucky like me and only chlorine is used then sodium thiosulfate is even more cost effective. I bought 2 lbs of dry on ebay for $8. That is enough to dechlorinate around 2,000,000 gallons of water with 2 PPM free chlorine. I don't treat my water unless I do a 50% or larger water change. I did a 50% change a couple weeks ago and then checked how much chlorine was in my tank without treatment. It was only .05 PPM. I doubt I will ever use my chlorine tests again until summer just to see if it changes seasonally.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store