Tank mates for Clown Loaches in 180g

Sicktrick89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2010
Massachusetts
I am getting a standard 180 (6X2X2) and am going to start a clown loach tank. I was looking for suggestions for tank mates and number of clown loaches I should purchase. I was thinking about a ray for the tank but realized the tank was not sufficient for such fish, that being said, I would ultimately like none of the fish to need a larger home down the road.

I was thinking 2-3 large pieces of driftwood and possibly some clay pots or PVC pipe for the loaches to hide / play.

Also would like to hear opinions on bare bottom vs black sand.

Would any plants be possible? Anubias Nana on driftwood maybe?

Thanks for your help and pictures of your loach set ups would be greatly appreciated. Im open to all suggestions so dont be shy!

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
A ray may eat the loaches depending on the size of them.

Besides any tank mates that are aggressive or could eat the loaches anything will work lol. My loaches have occasionally stolen a tiny feeder guppy or two off my bushfish but besides that they don't mess with any other smaller fish in the tank.

in a 180 you could pile in some loaches haha. I'd start with 5-6 and go from there though.

My clowns get along with EVERYTHING lol.

They love planted tanks but be warned now they are going to dig up your plants so either tie them to rocks and bury the rocks or just be ready to replant every few days haha.

I'll take a few pics of my 150 when i get home from work.

I don't ever promote barebottom tanks, i think its a lazy ass practice among fish keepers haha.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
A shoal of black barred silver dollars and few pikeheads would be cool!-)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Sicktrick89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2010
Massachusetts
I was thinking about a datnoid for a possible tank mate. Would he give the loaches too much trouble? I would like a large, semi-aggresive, mid swimming fish for this tank as the loach will take up the bottom and middle levels. Would a single datnoid grow too large for a 180? From my research thats about the minimum tank size for them.

andrewsin

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2010
london
Datnoid would be fine for loaches! I've had bare bottom tank with loaches and they absolutely hate it! I've also had black sand with loaches and all the loaches just go dark colour not good looking!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Sicktrick89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2010
Massachusetts
So a light colored sand substrate, I also know that loaches grow extremely slow. What is the grown rate on a datnoid? Should I purchase and grow out the loaches prior to obtaining a dat? Possibly get them all together at a small size and put them in a grow out tank? Thanks for all the help !

Dis

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2010
Hamilton, ON
Buy the biggest loaches you can afford. They love being in groups. The larger the group the better.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I plan on purchasing 6-8 medium sized clowns or the same number of small ones and growing them out in a 40 gallon breeder.
get the biggest size you can...they don't grow noticeable fast...believe me...I have 2 4.5"ish and 4 2"....had them for a while and they haven't even looked the slightest bit bigger lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store