Questions about placement.

Bidda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2014
SoCal
So I've got a 180 6x2x2 with a sump box in the back right corner. Im using an fx5, two 200 watt heaters, and I have two maxi jet powerheads, 1200 and a 400. I'm having problems with poop and food debris piling up on the floor at a pretty quick rate(Oscars being messy). I've got a lima cat I just bought and a pleco for now helpin out. So anyway, I'm just wandering how I should set all this up to get a nice flow for my filter to pick up more stuff, I really have no idea on placement.

Thanks guys.

So I've got a 180 6x2x2 with a sump box in the back right corner. Im using an fx5, two 200 watt heaters, and I have two maxi jet powerheads, 1200 and a 400. I'm having problems with poop and food debris piling up on the floor at a pretty quick rate(Oscars being messy). I've got a lima cat I just bought and a pleco for now helpin out. So anyway, I'm just wandering how I should set all this up to get a nice flow for my filter to pick up more stuff, I really have no idea on placement.

Thanks guys.
The Lima and Pleco don't eat poop! They make more poop. Especially the Pleco! :)

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
The Lima and Pleco don't eat poop! They make more poop. Especially the Pleco! :)
:ROFL:
Anyway, you would need alot of current to direct waste to 1 location so filter intake able to pick them up but it's might disturb other fish with high flow. Other option is place the filter intake at the other side of your power head with it slightly point downward toward the substrate, Oscar is messing eater and produce ton of waste so the best solution is feed less and do more wc (like 10% every other day) or just take out the waste that lay on bottom.

Racersk

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Covington
You must place the power heads to start a current up and toward the sump overflow. Takes a bit of time and targeting to get it right.

Yes Oscars are messy eaters, but does not mean they always need feeding- control the intake and you control the out-take...you know what Im sayin? I have a 4 year old one eyed oscar that is doing GREAT- 13" and thick-the only sign of 'pitting' is in his missing eye socket. And he really cant really be overfed because he cant see his food! Im sure if I kept throwing in food there'd be a mess in his tank.

BTW Raphel cats work great as cleaners as well-I only know this by the round 6" cat in this oscars tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store