Feeding issue

LaurenD

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2014
United States
My bichirs don't seem interested in eating anything but pellets, which are way too full of air. I try giving them other options (such as shrimp, worms, etc...) but they aren't going for it. Suggestions?

(Also, where on this forum would I post a bichir for sale? I have a 4in bichir in a separate tank that I no longer have room for, so I need to find the little one a new home!)

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
LOL..... most of us complain bichirs don't want to take enough pellets!! Give them a variety of pellets. Full of air? If you want to combine other foods, that is fine.... try small pieces of tilapia.

Post ur fish for sale in the MFK MARKETPLACE.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
LOL..... most of us complain bichirs don't want to take enough pellets!! Give them a variety of pellets. Full of air? If you want to combine other foods, that is fine.... try small pieces of tilapia.

+1 pellets are probably one of the best things to have your bichir eating. Also what makes you think they are full of air? Is it because they are not sinking and just floating? What kind of pellets are you feeding?

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
I feed a diet of mostly market shrimp is that ok? I substitute NLS, shrimp pellets, and earthworm/bloodworm pellets is that ok? Sorry dont mean to hijack the thread, just i dont feed pellets as my staple :/

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
I feed a diet of mostly market shrimp is that ok? I substitute NLS, shrimp pellets, and earthworm/bloodworm pellets is that ok? Sorry dont mean to hijack the thread, just i dont feed pellets as my staple :/
You don't have to feed pellets as a staple, but IMO having a fish trained and taking pellets is always a good thing. Pellets are usually alway easier to handle to. No thawing or preparing, just opening up a bag and dumping some in.

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Alright thanks, they do eat pellets i just prefer frozen foods because my tank gets cloudy really easily from pellets, most likely because of my geos spitting them out constantly.

dmcskoolkid

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2010
MD
I started to get food problems once they got stuck on pellets these small white worms lookalikes began appearing I almost want to switch back for a while to see if it makes a difference. Mine eat anything tho.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Sounds like planaria. Caused mainly by overfeeding. A few medium-sized water changes and reduced feeding should clear them up. Assuming it's planaria.

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Yes i would agree with dr.b, its best to reduce the amount you feed, keep up on water changes and make sure the substrate is clean of debreee (ie. poop and food)

ExoticGREEN

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2010
$0uth3rn C@l1f0rn!@

Just starve bahahaha. Mine eat pellets like crazy. sinking gold. tilapia is like once in awhile LOL. for me that is LOL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store