Plywood Face Check

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Has anyone who built a tank using plywood either then Marine plywood, have the plywood check ( crack) and cause a leak?

From what I was told this is almost a guarantee if you do not fiber glass cloth the entire piece of ply when laying down resin? This is why cloth is mainly used ( strengthen epoxy) not reinforce tank. So technically only glassing the corners really is pointless!

Just wondering if any one has had leaks from this or have more info on this!

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
Read lots of builds and never have heard of this being a problem. I have seen tons say marine ply is not needed. I chose birch for my big sump because it is relatively smooth compared to oak plywood, and it is great for painting. Besides at only 72 by 36 I'm not needing tons of structural support like many of the monsters on here. Mine has only been epoxied for a year, and since I poured a quarter inch on all faces in 3 coats I'm never going to know if the faceply delaminates, but I dought in my case it will matter. I could see it being a problem in the builds that only have a super thin layer of epoxy, if there is something that can flex, I could see brittle epoxy not reacting well to that.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Yes, I am thinking this is where hair line cracks can happen. From what I heard it has to do with moisture. Even though epoxy is water proof the damp ness against the plywood. Like you said probably having a thick film would lessin it.

Maybe it being inside and being in stable temps this is also not an issue as it would be for boats constantly in various weathers.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Yes, I am thinking this is where hair line cracks can happen. From what I heard it has to do with moisture. Even though epoxy is water proof the damp ness against the plywood. Like you said probably having a thick film would lessin it.

Maybe it being inside and being in stable temps this is also not an issue as it would be for boats constantly in various weathers.
The biggest challenge with Douglas fir plywood is the propensity of its outer (face) veneer to check, that is, split along the grain. This is especially true when the outer surface forms a curve perpendicular to the face grain. Covering fir plywood with 6 oz fiberglass fabric is mandatory to contain the checking.

This is from West Systems

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
Never heard of face checking being a problem for plywood aquariums.

I believe West Systems was referring to boat building techniques, when you bend the plywood to fit the contour of the framing, where the face of the outside radius will check.

In that 10+ year old thread at the reef forum, I think the checking was based on some anecdotal evidence, where some plywood was fully exposed to the outdoor elements. It never actually happened to anyone's aquarium.

There was also a misconception of epoxy coatings not being waterproof. Epoxy has many of the same characteristics as acrylic. Neither epoxy or acrylic is considered waterproof, because when the surface layer of either material is exposed to water or moisture, they will absorb trace amounts of water. That water isn't permeable because the moisture content is too low before it reaches supersaturation. Acrylic or epoxy resin are perfectly suitable to build aquariums with, especially those epoxies which are solvent free and 100% solids.

I think one problem when building plywood aquariums is that the safety factor often gets ignored when it comes to waterproofing. If the glass viewing panel has safety factor of 3 or 4, then the waterproofing should be to. Meaning that you'd use 3 to 4x times the bare minimum. So if 20 mils thick is considered the minimum to waterproof a tank, then you should go with 3 or 4x times that, or 60 to 80 mils thick. That kind of common sense often gets trumped by ambition. I'm guilty of that for sure.

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
I have a test tank that I built in a thread on here years ago that is still going. I did not use fiberglass for any part of it. Best advice is to choose your waterproofing technique and research similar builds. There is plenty of info on here for most anything you could ever want to know about waterproofing.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Ya, from reading around face checking happens when it goes from high moisture to very low which proablly happens, on a boat outdoors.

This is good as I don't want to fiber glass the whole tank lol. I agree Keith, film thickness is very important for epoxy. Thanks for the replies guys. Now I am back to LR or Epoxy :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store