Costa Rican dovii

Reaper13

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2013
Southeast
Well you have the yellow variety ( my favorite) & the usual silver platinum base version. Costa ricans are usually taller in profile with a more pointy nose if you look at them in tanks beside each other.

I can't remember where the yellow is collected from but a quick Google will tell you.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
I'm selling off my frontosa for 70 bucks to my lfs its store credit I'm looking for a larger fish or a couple medium fish to put in my 220 they have the Costa Rican dovii and usually have quite a bit more, right now not much but they usually have peacock bass, dovii, jags etc... Maybe even arrowana but idk what fish I will like more

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Reaper13

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2013
Southeast
Length wise they have the same potential.

240 (96 x 24 x 24) is considered the bare minimum for a full grown male by many with 300 being ideal. I think a 220 will be ok for a long time though, but I wouldn't consider it a life long tank for a 20-24" bulky fish that likes open water. My old male started to act like a wild animal I cornered in my old 210 which was not any fun at all. Aggression is one thing, but destroying everything while trying to break the glass when I got within 3ft of the tank is another.

Reaper13

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2013
Southeast
I'm selling off my frontosa for 70 bucks to my lfs its store credit I'm looking for a larger fish or a couple medium fish to put in my 220 they have the Costa Rican dovii and usually have quite a bit more, right now not much but they usually have peacock bass, dovii, jags etc... Maybe even arrowana but idk what fish I will like more

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I'd research what I really want. Jag's get pretty dang big as well, but a male would live lifelong in that tank no problem even with a female if you keep a divider handy. There is no substitution for a Dovii though to be honest.

IMO I would order my jag or dovii from a quality breeder to avoid any psychical/mental defects that might pop up.

ExoticGREEN

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2010
$0uth3rn C@l1f0rn!@
If your looking for somthing with color. I would looking into a Motaguensis or a Freddy. Dovii is like keeping a crazy looney LOL. Or as stated by reaper13 LOL

Also loisellei are cool to. had one in the past! not a overly aggro fish

cich78

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
new york
I am going to co sign exotic greens suggestion of a Mota with a pic of my growing male .....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1422513146598.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store