Istlanum Advice

Reaper13

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2013
Southeast
I'm currently waiting on 6 red's. I have some concerns about bloat at 2-3". I was planning on feeding some Epsom soaked nls. Besides this is there any advice on preventing bloat with these 6?
I underestimated their aggression & i think I put myself behind the bloat 8 ball by only setting up a 75. I'm shooting for a pair.

Funny side note: I ordered these 7 days ago and my wife is due to give birth the 6th. However anyday is realistic...i'm so smart sometimes.

kjo89

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2008
ny
I've had istlanum twice in the past. Both times getting them at about 1". I fed a staple of spiraling from kens fish and hikari pellets(in moderation.) always fed on the light side. I did frequent water changes and never had an issue

Freshwaterpredators

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
The Grotto
No need for epsom treatment unless your treating bloat, not used for preventing it. I suggest keep water clean, light feedings, species tank, NLS has a hexamita food that I thought of using. I've kept hundreds of istlanums and haitiensis and I have had my fair share of bloat but over the years I've learned to keep it simple and low stress.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Reaper13

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2013
Southeast
Thanks for the advice. I wasn't going to do epsom for treatment per se, but more of a detox from shipping. I think i'm just psyching myself out more than anything, because I want it to work so bad.

Reaper13

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2013
Southeast
No need for epsom treatment unless your treating bloat, not used for preventing it. I suggest keep water clean, light feedings, species tank, NLS has a hexamita food that I thought of using. I've kept hundreds of istlanums and haitiensis and I have had my fair share of bloat but over the years I've learned to keep it simple and low stress.

I researched these for a while now and your one of the main reasons I cleared space for a set. Every time I did a search on istlanum your name came up in one way or another. I'm really impressed by your quality of fish and the way you keep them (not that you need to impress me). Hopefully between my friend and myself we can spread some quality love around to responsible keepers down here.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
No need for epsom treatment unless your treating bloat, not used for preventing it.
Yes, it actually can be used to help prevent bloat by eradicating the parasitic pathogen (S. vortens) that often causes bloat in fish.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?523470-Treating-Hexamita-aka-Spironucleus

This is a rather safe way to treat any newly imported fish, as a prophylactic, just as one would use a de-wormer. It's not only an extremely cheap way to treat fish, the active ingredients are readily available world-wide, and it's also much safer than using most forms of medication..........

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There seems to be a period of time in a mid to northern Central American cichlids life just before maturity, that killing its brothers and sisters is its main focus, I find this especially true with Nandopsis, some Nosferatu, and xCichlasoma. Though it never totally goes away, at maturity it ebbs enough to allow a male to almost reluctantly accept some females.
Though most of my experience in this regard comes from working with haitiensus, grammodes, tetracanthus and pantostictus, from other cichid keepers I've spoken to, istantum fits a similar mode.
When grown out together, either death from direct sibling aggression, or indirectly from stress induced aggression is common (maybe likely in anything but the largest of spaces).
If it were me (with rose colored glasses hoping for a 90% survival), I'd either compartmentalize the tank (one fish to a compartment, each with a hide out), or grow each individual in a separate tank, unless I was able to deal with the inevitable death of all but 1, or maybe just a pair escape death.

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
I think Bloat only becomes an issue in over-crowded tanks so keeping the fish in a decent sized tank with almost daily water changes till they reach about 2 - 3" is the best policy :)

Reaper13

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2013
Southeast
I was hoping a pair would escape, but now I'm starting to think stashing 2 of the smallest in a divided smaller tank for safe keeping might be a good idea.

Problem with dividers is someone always gets around it at this size unless its siliconed in place.

Freshwaterpredators

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
The Grotto
Thank you reaper for the nice words. I love Istlanums and I'll be looking to get back into them down the road. Good luck with yours:)

Neil, I meant that I don't use it for prevention,as in all my experiences with bloat it has been stress induced with the exception of one flowerhorn. And the epsom treatment was a life saver in that case. And now that I think of it, there could possibly be some benefits from occasionally soaking food in epsom? Not a bad idea..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store