Any experiences with refugiums?

Sicktrick89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2010
Massachusetts
Does anyone here have any experience with fresh water refugiums?

I love the idea of planted tanks but realize that might be far fetched with clown loaches that I plan on getting. So why not kill two birds with one stone? I was thinking of making a refugium for a 180g tank and keeping some plants, while keeping the water for my fish crystal clear.

I was just looking for any, pictures, ideas, and helpful hints when keeping a refugium.

What would be a sufficient tank size? What plants are best for water filtration? Any invertebrates? How would you set it up. etc, etc....

Thanks for the help!

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
There are several people on here running a planted section in their sumps. I suspect that in order to make a real difference on a 180 you will need a fairly large planted section. How were you thinking of doing it? Sectioning off a portion of your sump?

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I have a 90 with a 40b sump

Half the sump is partitioned off to house cichlid fry and there is an enormous pothos vine sprawling everywhere its hard to work in the cabinet, it takes up almost the whole thing

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

carbene

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2013
SF BA
something like this? this was my old refugium for 240
tmp_IMG_20140604_1036161901507498.jpg
my current sump look like a pothos forest c:

tmp_IMG_20140604_1036161901507498.jpg

Sicktrick89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2010
Massachusetts
I was thinking of three sections of the sump. Mechanical filter via scrubbies, biological, then a third planted section with plants and maybe some invertebrates. From what I've read pothos do a great job. Not sure what size tank to use for the sump or what plants would work best in the water.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
It takes alot of plants to make a negligible difference in nitrates. I'd go as large as possible with as many plants as possible. Terrestrial plants which have access to atmospheric carbondioxide do the best as they are not limited as to what's in the water column.

I have a ton of pothos, it puts a dent in nitrates. I'm getting 5ppm readings after a week of no water changes, but I don't overfeed my fish, (infact i prpbably under feed them) every single week I dispose of all of my mechanical pads and floss in my trickle tower and do fin level water changes on the display also. My substrate is clean. It's not a magic bullet, and won't cover up for a relaxed maintenance or water change schedule.

I suspect that people who claim to have 0 nitrates from planted refugiums are actually circumventing the conventional nitrogen cycle by the plants consuming ammonia before it turns to nitrates. But that's just a guess

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Sicktrick89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2010
Massachusetts
Mudbutt, so would you say running a regular sump with pothos on the surface of the actual tank would do about the same? I just really like the idea of having a biological system that works off it itself but if a refugium is just a good idea on paper than Ill save myself the work. I was thinking about having some nice maintained and trimmed pothos on the tank anyways. Thanks for all the help guys!

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
Does anyone here have any experience with fresh water refugiums?

I love the idea of planted tanks but realize that might be far fetched with clown loaches that I plan on getting. So why not kill two birds with one stone? I was thinking of making a refugium for a 180g tank and keeping some plants, while keeping the water for my fish crystal clear.

I was just looking for any, pictures, ideas, and helpful hints when keeping a refugium.

What would be a sufficient tank size? What plants are best for water filtration? Any invertebrates? How would you set it up. etc, etc....

Thanks for the help!
A little off topic, but IMO, there's no problem having a planted tank with clown loaches.
I have a planted 75g with 5 clowns in there. The two largest are about 5 inches.
The loaches don't uproot plants (or if they do, it's so seldom that I Don't worry about it)
Unless you have other fish in there that aren't friendly to plants, I'd try a planted tank.
If you do a refugium, you are still using electricity to make the plants grow, but you don't get to enjoy it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store