Thanks for the talapia rec. guys

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I picked up some talapia today. The sales clerk looked at me funny because the rest of my bag was fake meat alternatives.

Anyway, I cut it up and tried feeding it to the Polypterus tanks today. Holy hell. They jumped on it. I have never seen them in such a frenzy. The new Congicus broke his three day fast to destroy a huge pile. He is looking FAT right now. The juvy tank were tearing each other up to get at it.

Question--how regularly can I feed talapia? Will it give my fish a deficiency if it is their primary meal?

Thanks a ton. I can't believe I never tried this. This is how I felt when I bought my python vac for water changes.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Once a day if you want or every couple days. I do it every couple days so they don't get too fat. Don't get me wrong I like 'em chunky, but some of mine will get out of hand real fast if I fed it every day (yes 5" senegals I'm looking at you).

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
But is it healthy compared to massivore? Half the time my Poly's just ignore massivore even if they're hungry.

I just broke my smaller gars week long fast with talapia too!

Solved every problem in that tank in one fell swoop. So sick.

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
But is it healthy compared to massivore? Half the time my Poly's just ignore massivore even if they're hungry.

I just broke my smaller gars week long fast with talapia too!

Solved every problem in that tank in one fell swoop. So sick.
My Polys destroy massivore, but I never feed tilapia or frozen fish to give them a choice. Feel massivore is more well-rounded diet, with vitamins etc

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I vary mine from cut shrimp, tilapia, pollock and krill every day. Shrimp Monday, tilapia Tuesday, etc. occasionally I'll treat them to silversides. I'm making diy pellets right now so hopefully they like them and I can use them as a staple. It has shrimp, tilapia, krill, pollock, sinking carnivore pellets, spurilina pellets, algae wafers and some garlic. Hoping they will like them. This is the diet for my two Florida gars, 12" endli and lap, 9" teugelsi, 8" clown knife and 6" featherfin. But I have to watch feeding them because my lap does not know when to stop..

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
I'm not sure of the exact nutritional stats, but I think I remember reading a post on here somewhere about how massivore has all of the nutrients predatory fish need in a single pellet. I would say massivore is healthier, but IMO it's one of those things where unless you want to be picky on what kind of diet your polys are on both will get the job done.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I'm not sure of the exact nutritional stats, but I think I remember reading a post on here somewhere about how massivore has all of the nutrients predatory fish need in a single pellet. I would say massivore is healthier, but IMO it's one of those things where unless you want to be picky on what kind of diet your polys are on both will get the job done.
If I had the money for it I would consider it but I would rather make my own anyways lol. Just so I can say I did. People do swear by massivore though

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Massivore is cheaper in 2.2 lb bags. A bag will probably last your stock 8 months Cody. Mine just don't seem to eat it. The koliba and Faranah lap will, but no one else. I had them all pellet trained until I started offering ghost shrimp to fatten up my gar. Now they all seem to have forgotten that its food. Maybe I should start my training regiment over again.

Any idea where that thread is Dr. B? Would love to know if talapia can be their main staple, with massivore imbedded inside. I've read so much jndonabout deficiencies that I'm freaked out about my feeding schedules.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Massivore is cheaper in 2.2 lb bags. A bag will probably last your stock 8 months Cody. Mine just don't seem to eat it. The koliba and Faranah lap will, but no one else. I had them all pellet trained until I started offering ghost shrimp to fatten up my gar. Now they all seem to have forgotten that its food. Maybe I should start my training regiment over again.

Any idea where that thread is Dr. B? Would love to know if talapia can be their main staple, with massivore imbedded inside. I've read so much jndonabout deficiencies that I'm freaked out about my feeding schedules.
If I can get any of them to take pellets I would probably consider it. My featherfin is the only one that will eat them. He's a vacuum cleaner though lol.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Yeah, there's always that one fish thats willing to eat everything if the others aren't quick enough. The endli in my grow out tank has eaten the whole tanks share before they could find it on multiple occasions T.T

He's going to be a beast one day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store