Handling lungfish

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I guess you can but I doubt if you should...you could injure it and if it's big enough it could give you a nasty bite..I guess the real question is why would you?

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
I've seen people take pictures with their lung fish, and I had mine for sale on craigslist and this is one of the questions a potential buyer asked me "have you ever handled it" I thought maybe I was doing something wrong since I never had.

Sent from my LGMS769 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Even a sub-adult LF can sever a finger without much effort. So, why even try. At the very least your result will be a stressed out LF with a large amount of its protective slime layer removed.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Even a sub-adult LF can sever a finger without much effort. So, why even try. At the very least your result will be a stressed out LF with a large amount of its protective slime layer removed.
Oddball, how did you transport your aul when you moved it into your hatchery? I remember reading that and wondering how one moves a lungfish of that size around.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I dropped a grand on an insulated and filtered/aerated fish transport bin. The same type used for transporting sharks. The AUL was sling-caught from the tank to a rolling 45gal tote then, dipped into the transport bin.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I dropped a grand on an insulated and filtered/aerated fish transport bin. The same type used for transporting sharks. The AUL was sling-caught from the tank to a rolling 45gal tote then, dipped into the transport bin.
Very cool. Did it go quietly? What was the "wrangling up" process like?

KuhliaFan

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2011
Brisbane West
I don't know much about other species but Aussies are very slimy and hard to handle, while they are pretty tough, they are easy to drop and injury as their scales and skin is pretty soft and easy to tear. Go for a large rubberised fishing landing net to cradle it, then place on ground and put you hand under the front pectoral fins and lifts it head up for a phot. Get down low like Jeremy Wade does it.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
i remember relocating my 30" WAL when i moved
got a 100 gallon cold box, bought a huuge net

caught him in the tank lifted him out into the cold box and voila we were ready for the trip

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store