how long can I keep thawed talapia

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Hey guys. I recently started feeding raw talapia to my poly/gar tank, and was wondering how long it is safe to keep leftover talapia in my fridge before it goes bad. Regular food can keep for 5 or so days, but I have no experience with raw meat. Its more convenient to thaw a weeks worth at a time, but is this advisable?

jordanroda

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2005
I Love L.A.
Jordys friend is called goggle...
U can't keep any seafood longer than a few days n the fridge...can u say freezer...? ;)

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
If I thaw food and don't use it all I'll either keep in fridge to use next day or back in the freezer if it's going to be longer.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I can tell you from experience don't keep it in the fridge for a week. My god. It smells so bad. Now I freeze mine unless I plan on using it the next day.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
I diced it up then add a little water to retain moisture and freeze it for a month. I go thru 6 lbs a month.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Right on, thanks guys. I'll keep what's left over in the freezer from now on. I fed a half of a filet to all my tanks tonight, and plan on doing the same tomorrow if they're not too stuffed.

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Once I defrost tilapia, or any seafood for that matter, I'll throw it out the next day if my fish don't eat all of it.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I thaw it out and leave it the fridge for 2 days wrapped in Saran Wrap. I always give it a smell test and if it smells suspicious then in the trash it goes. Been doing it for a long time and hadn't have any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store