filtration system for 150 and 125 gallon

mchambers527

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2015
Long Island,N.Y
I have come into some new tanks and im puzzled about what system to use. Ive heard sump is the way to go, i am try to be easy of the electric bill too lol. I am curious what is the best filtration and most economical for the tanks. Any ideas or suggestions?

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
I have come into some new tanks and im puzzled about what system to use. Ive heard sump is the way to go, i am try to be easy of the electric bill too lol. I am curious what is the best filtration and most economical for the tanks. Any ideas or suggestions?
Welcome to MFK.

Canister- easy to maintenance and best when you over filter. Example, 50gl tank, use a canister for 100+ gallon tank.

Sump- these are in my book, the best way to go. Customize them to your needs. The rule of thumb for starters is 1/3 tank volume (30gl sump for a 90gl tank). Some common things found in sumps are Heaters, kaldness aka k1 media, ceramic rings, mechanical filtration and 24hr drip systems for the advanced aquarist. Search DIY sump.

Can't go wrong with either, gl.

The sump is the best filtration method. But it is the best. Its uber-flexible and ultimately the easiest method to regularly service.

That being said I don't run one because none of my tanks are drilled.

mchambers527

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2015
Long Island,N.Y
Thanks guys im going to look into building a sump, what size pump should i use? How many gph and for the overflow idk if i want to drill the tank maybe an overflow. Once again thanks

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
If the tank is acrylic, drill away. If its glass, make sure its NOT TEMPERED. Do a youtube search on how to determine if the tank is or not.

gph will vary depending on the overflow size. anything you can think of, goodle it with DIY in front of it

Lusus_Naturae

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2010
OK, USA
The search function on MFK isn't working right now or I would link an existing thread about the diy overflow for a sump on non-drilled tanks.

This youtube shows the first version of this overflow, there's another version where you slide the u-pipe going over the tank edge into a pipe twice as large to cut down on how the design looks - it's cleaner looking basically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65yVr7DiDls

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store