Plywood aquarium, patch ideas?

swims alot

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2014
Rhode Island, United States
So guys for past 6 months ive been building a 300 gallon plywood tank, I used fiber glass and rubberizeit as a sealant. I used about 2 gallons and about 9 coats. I seem pretty tight so I tested it yesterday I filled it 1/3 and I have a leak, ive narrowed down to the front left bottom corner area. I was in aww to see this thing leak after all my work. I was putting my coats on pretty heavy and was getting every detail the whole way through. I only have maybe 4-5 ounces of rubber left. If I miss it im open to ideas on a patch, I was thinking krylon fusion. I really dont want to spend another $70 for another gallon of rubber.

Sorry for the long post, ive been stockpiling my pics hoping to start a post when its finished. Thanks

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
You really want to trust spray paint to hold 300 gallons of water off the floor of your home? That seems like a pretty bad idea. I'm not sure how the rubber works as I've never used it, but I suspect you need to find the leak location and get it covered with the rubber.

That said, I was under the impression most sealants like this are best put on in thinner coats and doing more of them? I see you said 9, but also mentioned doing them heavy. Are you sure they were fully dry before doing the next coat?

swims alot

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2014
I really dont want to entrust spray paint to gold all the water, but seeing im running low on rubber I was hoping I can use it as a "filler" of sorts. I was thinking of using 3 or so layers of fusion over the suspected area of the leak. Then use all of my remaining rubber over the spray paint. I was just thinking I might get more coverage with the help of the spray paint. Did make sure the rubber was dry after each coat I allowed it to dry atleast a full 24hrs in between coats. And after I inspected my work to make sure their was absolutely no exposed wood. But I guess I unfortunately missed a spot.

BearFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2014
Ohio
Hi Swims! Glad to see things are coming along. I vote no, on rubber, spray paint, rubber concept. You will just make bad connecting interfaces and it will cause you more trouble in the long run. Best bet is to put more rubber on in thin coatings. Can't wait to see the pics!

swims alot

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2014
False alarm guys, I attempted to fill her up again no leaks :)

I guess I must have made a spill on the frame but shes been holding for 2 days no problems. Haven't seen u in a while bear, i should have here done in 2 weeks I hope. Just waiting on the pump and plumbing. Pics soon I promise.

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
I have looked into that rubberizeit product before. From I've heard, it never cures 100% throughout the thickness of it. Underneath the cured rubber surface, it stays gelatinous, where it has the ability to self-heal if it gets punctured. So if it was accidentally punctured and leaked during the test fill, it may have fixed itself.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store