Baby Yellow Tiger Datnoids

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Just bought/rescued 3 yellow tigers from a little fish store. This is the first time I've ever owned any. They are about 1-1.5" long. Already shown a little bit of personality by begging for food by rubbing their nose on the aquarium glass. Can someone give me any tips?

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
No suggestions? I put 2 tbsp. of instant ocean salt in per 5 gallons of H20. Ph is about 7.4 from the tap. All they will eat so far are tiny earthworms I dug in the yard and some tiny gut loaded rosy red minnows from a quarantine tank. Will driftwood soften the water to much? Aquarium has coral sand/regular sand mixed for substrate.

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
Post some pics please.

Why are you adding salt straight off the bat? Are they ill or stressed?

If you have them feeding on worms (night crawlers) stick with them for a while until they settle more.

Local fishing tackle shop will have worms and save you the digging. Give them a rinse before feeding

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yeah let's see some photos,and what gives with the salt?.I've never used coral sand but if it is actually made if crushed coral then it will probably keep the water hard and with a rather high PH value.

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
The few things I've read about them, said they were one of the species that needed salt. The only reason for digging in the leaves for the earthworms is I can get tiny ones. I'm kinda wary about using farm raised worms , because I don't know the background on them. May have chemicals or something else I don't want to feed the little guys. Probably just paranoia though. I'll post some pictures tomorrow morning. I haven't been using the light because it freaks them out so bad. The pictures of them will probably look like black and white instead of color because they are scared. Any info would be great on them. They are indeed a trio of 1"-1.25" NGT though.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
NGT dats,that explains the yellow and they don't need that salt in their water.The silver dats are the brackish dats and few people keep even them in such conditions.

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
I am going to add some hiding spots soon. Just wanted them a bit less skittish before I add plants/rocks. They are rubbing on the glass when I walk into the room now. I apologize about the bad picture quality. They hide when I attempted to photograph them. The light had been off a while when I took the pics. That's one reason why they are lacking in the color department. Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store