Similar to RTC but not as big?

Mad wolf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2014
Syracuse New York
Are there any catfish out there that do ok with cichlids, but similar in body appearance as a RTC but not nearly as large? Was thinking max size maybe a foot in length?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Maybe an Ornate pim. What type of cichlids by the way?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Sun catfish are the closest I can think of. Slow growth though. There are several Chrysichthys and Ameiurus species that meet your size requirement, but none are as attractive as an RTC.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
bumblebee jelly catfish, max size 10-12 inch i think? proper little preds, i want one

Mad wolf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2014
Syracuse New York
I have a few Bumblebees, but they are super small probly a half inch each. I have a solitary JD male in a 50 g. He's about 4" I'm trying to grow him a bit before I introduce a female JD from my 90 g. Down the road. The thing is I'd like to somehow grow out a small Cat in the 50 then when I move the female replace her with the cat into the 90. The idea is to have a few medium cichlids in the 90 with a couple Cats as well and leave it at that.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Sun catfish are the closest I can think of. Slow growth though. There are several Chrysichthys and Ameiurus species that meet your size requirement, but none are as attractive as an RTC.
I'd have to disagree, look up Ameiurus serracathus, they're just imossiboe to find. The Florida strain of Ameiurus nebulous looks almost identical and gets a few inches bigger, maybe just what the OP is looking for.

Mad wolf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2014
Syracuse New York
I may look around for a larger Bumblebee this weekend. If I find some hard to finds, I'll get with you guys first. Thanx for the help. I'm not super knowledgeable when it comes to Cats except for what I've read.

keeno2086

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2015
kingston, uk
a walking catfish doesn't look to much like the rtc, but they still get pretty big, you can get some very nice colours/patterns and are fun to watch

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
a walking catfish doesn't look to much like the rtc, but they still get pretty big, you can get some very nice colours/patterns and are fun to watch
Illegal in US. One of my dream fish that I can't legally have, right up there with Asian Aros.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store