energy efficient heaters and filters

mchambers527

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2015
Long Island,N.Y
Hey i was just wonder what set up uses the least electricity. I know heaters suck up alot of juice but what do you guys think hob filters, diy sump, canister. In your experience what is the most economical set up possible, any suggestions?

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Hey i was just wonder what set up uses the least electricity. I know heaters suck up alot of juice but what do you guys think hob filters, diy sump, canister. In your experience what is the most economical set up possible, any suggestions?
That answer depends on the size of tank. Smaller to medium tanks would benefit from HOB filters the most I feel, I think my whisper 60 uses like 9 watts. Even air pump driven sponge filters are an excellent option for small tanks.

Tanks around 100gal or more would probably benefit more from a sump since a single pump of your chosing could take the place of multiple canisters or HOBs. Some large submersible pumps run hot, which in turn helps heat the water to a negligible extent, but then again excess heat is a telltale sign of an inefficient pump.

Heaters are straight forward- watts = btu's. There's no way around it, smart placement like putting a heater near a filter intake or powerhead can help it's efficiency a little bit.

Also insulating the non-viewing panels of the tank with Styrofoam helps too.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
Canister with hydor inline heater is efficient for me. Add a couple powerheads cuz they do generate heat as well.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
If you want to go the super economical route and ugliness doesn't bother you, then sponge filters running off air pumps and cover all the sides of your tank with rigid foam insulation to help retain heat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store