First Cichla

Thomas Hagel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2015
Denmark
The guy in the store said he would not guarantee me they are what they were labled as, since he could not find the order documents, to see if they were wild caught or from a breeder.
He said often times the wild caught ones are mislabled, when very small, but if from a reputable breeder they would be what they were labled as.

So the big one was labled as an Orinocensis, and the smaller one was labled as a Temensis

I think the big one does look like an Orino, but i have no experience with Cichla, and don't know what the details are to look for.

The smaller one looks nothing like any Temensis i have seen picture of, and it only has 2 spots for some reason.

So if anyone can ID these that would be awsome.

The big one, the "Orino" is 2.5" roughly, and the smaller one the "Tem" is 2"

Ps. I have another one of the supposed Orinos, and had a 3rd one that jumped out of the tank sadly.

Toohard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2014
Where ever
The first one is gonna be a stunning orino! Where did it come from? Is there more? Can they ship?

Second is not a tem. Possible kelberi.

Do yourself and the bass a favor. Go grab 1-3 more cause bass...like most fish do better in groups. Not pairs.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
First is an orino. Second is def not a tem.

Temp should be at 86. Highly airated and keep up on wc's atleast 2x a week. Dont feed live if possible.

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
Have fun! Get more they look fantastic to be honest lol.

Thomas Hagel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2015
Denmark
The first one is gonna be a stunning orino! Where did it come from? Is there more? Can they ship?

Second is not a tem. Possible kelberi.

Do yourself and the bass a favor. Go grab 1-3 more cause bass...like most fish do better in groups. Not pairs.
Hey thanks man, but i don't think it's going to be economical for you to get some of these, since i'm from the cold dark north :D
I did have 4 of them, down to 3 because of the escape artist.
2 of the glass piece cover for the tank were broken by some of the previous monsters i had in there, because i sometimes forget to clean the top of loose fish food, and they would punish me for it by banging into it :O

But the water level has been lowered now so the rest should be good untill my new panes are made and ready

I will probably drive down and get me some more of these as per your suggestion :)
First is an orino. Second is def not a tem.

Temp should be at 86. Highly airated and keep up on wc's atleast 2x a week. Dont feed live if possible.
Hey thanks, so the Orino is a pretty definate it seems, that's awsome!

The guy in the store had them feeding on small fish for their entire stay there :(

Yeah i kind of had my doubts about the second one not being a Tem, but oh well, i'm fine with that.
Will be interesting to find out what it is as it matures then!

The tank is 78 at the moment, and i can't get it any higher, the heater is running full blast.
Another one is on its way here now though, so that i can get it up there in temp
Have fun! Get more they look fantastic to be honest lol.
Thanks, yeah they are pretty cool little buggers for sure!
I've had a lot of monster fish in my day, but nothing compares to these appetite wise.

I had bought tons of dithers about half the size of the Cichla, and they are almost gone o_O
How they fit that in their stomachs i will never understand, but they are ferocious that's for sure

They will only eat white mosquito larvae and occasional some of the regular red ones

I have tried Turkey heart, beef heart, krill in different sizes, Mysis, Gammarus, Shrimp and Lobster eggs so far, and they don't even want to taste any of it
Same with sticks unfortunetly

But when they run out of dithers to eat, i'm sure i will have an easier time getting them on some dry goodies

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
Typically the black lateral marking from the a3 ocelet doesn't run all the way through the tail of a orino. Yours in fact runs all the way through the tail = not a orino.

Second bass isn't a kelberi due to the fact that I haven't seen a two bar kelberi.....ever. So it's most likely a two bar mono or hybrid.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store