New to africans

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Guys a friend of mine is going to be setting up a 125 to 150 with agrican cichlids I dont know much on them so can you guys give me the basics on their care and water requirements and some stocking suggestions (nothing to delicate should be hardy) also filtration advice would be cool.

Im thinking an ac110 set up for mech and either 2 2217s or an fx6.

Im hoping he sets up a smaller 30 to 40 gal now just to get the ropes as he wont be setting up the big tank until march.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I believe whether old world or new world, general care is the same, its all about water quality, and tank size.
To my way of thinking a smaller tank requires much more care, as it is easier for water quality to degrade.
If your talking about rift lake cichlids, water in those lakes has an average nitrate level of around 1ppm.
The difference in keeping new world cichlids from old world types, in many cases is that rift lake species are/and can be over crowded to spread aggression, which makes water changes even more critical. (whereas over crowding Centrals often leads to a tank with lots of dead, and 1 live fish)
If your not thinking rift lake, say West Africans, they are very similar to the soft water species of S America, and again, water quality is paramount.
As you know I keep many new world, but also some rift lake species, and west Africans.
As far as water quality goes, I treat them the same.
I do crowd the old worlds more though.
my current or recent rift types

west type

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Thanks d om gonna send him this and let him read up on the differences

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RBoydIV

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2013
Columbus, Ohio
I have always stuck to a certain rift lake and done a biotope around that. I.e. Malawi, Tanganyika , Victoria.

I personally love tangs but there's more colorful fish from Malawi. Just be careful because some fish can be very aggressive. Believe it or not the more fish less aggression with these fish.

I like the tangs because of the difference in the fish you can have in one tank. A 125-150 you could put together an awesome tank. Could have some Shellie's (lamp brevis), paracyprichromis nigri, ink fin calvus, benthochtomis tricoti, any of the cyanthopharynx & cyprichromis. That mix would fill up all the water columns.

Haha might have to think about setting one up again. 125 would be perfect tank. Got any questions just ask.

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
Just my opinion, but of all the Rift lakes, Malawi seem to be the most forgiving to newbie mistakes. I would start there if he wants to do Africans.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
I agree with paulW and further, IME a mixed gender mbuna tank would be the most risk-free. I would not do them in a tank under 36" even temporarily though. In a 40G breeder I might do a single species of something small and peaceful like yellow labs for practice.

Dan M

Feeder Fish
Feb 20, 2015
Pennsylvania
For my 125 mbuna tank I use some onyx sand for buffering the water but I do not rely on it. Don't be tempted to use crushed coral, I started with that in my 55 and grew to hate it, IMO, overtime it starts to look bad. I know there are "rift lake buffers" for sale but I cannot say if they are good or bad, I've never used them too expensive for me. I have well water so I'm not concerned about adding minerals to my water they are already there. to buffer my water I use bicarbonate and epsom salt. The bicarbonate raises my PH to 8.2 and the more you add the higher your KH will be. I did some testing in a 55G food grade drum and I found that if I add 3TBS and 1.5 tsp of bicarbonate, my PH is 8.2 and my KH is 13. The epsom salt I add 4TBS and 2tsp, my GH is 18. All water is different so you would need to conduct your own test. I only added 1 TBS per 24hrs during my test keep the water agitated the entire time I was testing. I finally came up with my quantities for my water.

further testing in my tank, I have 33 mbunas in my 125, My PH never drops, even if I only do 1 WC per week, the KH is the reason for that. KH gives the water strength to hold PH. ( I normally WC 2x per week) Back when I used the crushed coral to buffer the water I would notice a PH drop throughout the week, I found that it was due to a low KH. As soon as I brought my KH up with bicarbonate, PH was steady never dropping.

KH and GH targets, I have nothing in official writing for this but this is what I was told by someone on the African Cichlid Hub,
KH 12-14
GH 16-18
With bicarbonate, PH will never go above 8.2

The only evidence that I have is my tank. At any given time I have at least 3 females holding in my tank. My fish are thriving and growing. One of my biggest problem is fry. I'm never 100% sure they are not hybrids so I either let my females spit in the tank.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Crushed coral, or even better crushed oyster shell, if required, are best used in ones filter as media, not as substrate.

Dan M

Feeder Fish
Feb 20, 2015
Pennsylvania
Not to steal this thread but the site won't let me PM yet...
RD. I'm finding your sticky topics on bloat very interesting. Thanks for putting out the effort.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store