Breeding after giving birth

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
So my Leo hen had a single pup about 100 days ago or so.
I assumed he got her again after birth but didn't witness it. I noticed about a week ago the male was chasing and dragging her around. Well this morning she was on the glass with this... Kinda weird he didn't get her right after giving birth.. Is this normal for black Rays? I know my motoro would be breeding while birthing... Every time!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1422545398.616631.jpg

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
Not sure on your question but I did witness my marbles breeding right after she dropped the pups back in October and it never took. Male was chasing her and flipped upside down but did not get it in and spewed sperm out. Then a few minutes later he got her and I saw more sperm. I am wondering if he got her with the clasper that already fired off. He left her alone for a couple of months then tried breeding with her again.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
My marbles bred right after giving birth. My hystrix don't. Not sure about black rays.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Its not always a sure thing...

Looks like he deff got the job done this time though!!!

Separate them now so she has a long healthy gestation

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
after she gave birth to the pup that didn't survive i was surprised she have any bite marks at all.. not sure why he wasn't interested.. seems strange to me.

Well either way job is done now...

i had my male motoro breed my hystrix a couple times back to back, and she never had any pups with me... so sometimes i wonder if it doesnt take... i thought it was like a dog... almost 100% chance it took after 1st breeding.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Not sure if there is any exact science to it regardless of species. Sometimes they get lucky sometimes they don't, All we do know is with what a male ray is packing down below, they have double the chances of us humans lol !!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store