What happened to my fish?

Fishman48

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Ontario, Canada
I have a planted tank that I've been cycling for a few weeks. The plants are growing nicely so I bought a group of feeder goldfish that I'm planning on putting in my ponds for the summer. I put them in last night after letting them adjust to my tank in the bag. This morning I woke up and found them all dead with scales peeling off. Did they have a disease or something? How should I clean the tank and plants before putting new fish in?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Sounds like ammonia burn to me but a pic would help. If they are peeling its more than likely some type of chemical burn.

If its only been a few weeks, and you have plants in the tank, my guess would be the ammonia is high. Plant debris and whatnot rotting in the tank and creating more ammonia and nitrites than your plants can handle. Plus if you aren't usin any bottled bacteria then your biofilter won't be even remotely close to being established after only a few weeks.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Are you in an area that uses chlorine/chloramine in the water? If so, did you use a dechlorinator?

Its a chemical burn, but if its ammonia burn....that is off the charts to have done it that fast.

My guess is chlorine burn.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Did they have a disease or something? How should I clean the tank and plants before putting new fish in?
Not a disease. It's almost certainly something in the water. As for cleaning, you'll know more once you take water parameters, but my guess is it's chemicals in the water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store