Leiarius pictus biotope advice needed

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
i am thinking of doing a biotope with my L.pictus as the centrepiece an i need some advice on other fish native to the same strech of river, substrate, flow rate, temp and maybe even some live plants.

i know they come from the Rio orinoco basin and off of the main rivers in Peru and Brazil but thats about it so far.

i would like to know what type of small fish like tetras, cichlids and pleco's come from there and any other advice/ideas you think wil help :)

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
i'm thinking about keeping it simple, like having the leiarius, a gibbiceps a ton of rummy nosed or neon tetra and possible a male motoro and having about a quarter of the tank like tree roots and a load of plants (probably fake if i keep the gibby) and othe stuff dotted around like rocks etc.

my questions are, do you think the tetras will survive long enough for it to be worth bothering with?
will the gibbyceps cause problem over territory battles and also if it do get a motoro?
any other ideas for a "prettier" loricariidae species from the rivers in the same reigon?
any idea what flow rate would be good?
any other fish suggestions that will go well?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Leiarius pictus should not prey on any tank mates. This is quite the norm. Only if given no other food, it will.

For other questions I'd consult at PCF too, Shane.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store