Enough filtration?

GreenTerror7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2011
So cal/ LAX
I have a 135gallon that is pretty heavily stocked right now, I'm working on thinning it out but right now I have a 10" green terror, 9" Nicaraguan, 2 5" green terrors, 6-7" jaguar, 7 inch geo surinamensis, 4" red hump geo, 2 7" four line pictus, 12 inch synodontis. I am currently running 2 eheim 2217's and an aqueon 75 which is only in there for more surface agitation. I'm going to get rid of the synodontis, Nicaraguan and jaguar, so when they go will two eheim 2217's be enough filtration? I have two layers of mechanical filtration then the rest is filled with ceramic and plastic rings.

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
Best way to determine that is water parameter testing. It depends on so many factors...how often you do water changes, how much and what you feed. Clean the tank and start testing each day until your next scheduled water change/tank cleaning. If the parameters stay acceptable, then yes its enough.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
I would probably want a higher flow rate than that, personally. You're at probably a 2.5-3.5x turnover (based on the output measurements from this thread ), where 5-10x would be what I'd consider ideal. But I agree with axs; you may be fine, depending on your maintenance routine.

GreenTerror7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2011
So cal/ LAX
With school on weekdays and work on weekends, water changes on all 5 tanks takes up a lot of time that i dont have so i am usually only able to do water changes every two weeks, i do about 30% on all tanks. Should I run an eheim 2213 on the tank also? Its currently excess on my 50 gallon.
Everytime I check water parameters everything seems normal

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
With school on weekdays and work on weekends, water changes on all 5 tanks takes up a lot of time that i dont have so i am usually only able to do water changes every two weeks, i do about 30% on all tanks. Should I run an eheim 2213 on the tank also? Its currently excess on my 50 gallon.
Everytime I check water parameters everything seems normal
If the water parameters are okay, then you have nothing to worry about.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store