Looking for some feedback

PapHater

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2015
Idaho
Alright so here is my situation. I currently have an older 150g tank that as the months go on I'm getting less and less comfortable with. I'm not sure exactly how old the tank is but the tank has incredibly thick glass and no sort of bracing. I was told on another forum that this was popular during the 80's. The silicone sure looks like it could be 30 years old.

Right now I'm leaning towards building a plywood tank replacement but my other two options would be to break it down and reseal it or keep an eyeout for a craigslist 150g. Tearing it down and redoing the silicone is not something I'm really keen on because I've never done anything like that and the glass is heavier than hell. I know a craigslist tank would be cheaper but the main reason I would like to do a ply tank is to customize the size to fit my wall better. Right now at this early stage I'm thinking 84"x20"x20". As of now I really want to do the ply tank but my big worry is I'll get to the end and think what a waste. I know its a really subjective thing but I'm looking for some thoughts (other than my own) as to whether or not this would be worth it.

I did get a quote from glasscages and it was $1,480 for a tank of those dimensions and included freight shipping.

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
I say build it, I'd go wider than 20" and use the glass from the current tank as windows. I built a 72x36x26 sump out of plywood last summer, can't wait to do a tank larger soon. Reselling a tank is no easy task, I would for sure practice smaller before trying it!

rotaryblake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2013
Red Deer
It sounds like either way it will be time consuming and a learning experience, but in the end you just need to go with the option which will make you happy long term, so save your dollars and try not to cut corners or settle on something that you're going to replace in a couple years.

PapHater

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2015
Idaho
I decided to go for it after getting a few other quotes. Since I'm in no hurry I think I'm going to try something similar to cvermeulen's tank with two or possibly 3 viewing windows connected together. Since I'm in no hurry I can take my time on this and really make sure it's done right. Thanks guys!

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
I'd say go for the rebuild.. you already have the tank and repairing it is the easiest and cheapest option by far. If you think repairing is too much work, what do you think a full build would entail?

Buying a used tank of the same size just to avoid the reseal? Not sure what to say to that...

PapHater

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2015
Idaho
It wasn't so much that I didn't want to do the work of a rebuild but more that I have no experience doing so. On top of that I'd probably be doing it by myself and the glass is just over 3/4" thick so it's heavier than hell. On the other hand I have plenty of experience working with plywood and I could take my time to make sure its done right.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
I hear ya.. it sounds like you was thinking of a full break down reseal... personally I would opt for just an outer seal redo so that the tank doesn't need to be disassembled.... just strip out interior seal and redo. This is what most people do and never have any issues. Cost is a few hours prep and several tubes of silicon.

DIY builds of the size you're thinking are not cost effective at all. And that's presuming it goes together perfect with no issues. And even then what you're left with is a tank that is more expensive than a store bought equivalent yet is 1000's of times more likely to have issues and leaks.

Not trying to dissuade you.. just trying to state facts. Personally, I would buy the new tank vs a build any day.

PapHater

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2015
Idaho
In all honesty this is 70% me wanting a new project and a new tank with that foot print. That said though if the costs were going to be close to a built tank I'd rather go that route. Shipping is really whats killing me.

I did check with glass cages on the cost of going all glass and it actually seems comparable to my rough estimate of what the plywood tank would cost.

Either way I'm in no hurry and if I were to build one I'd probably keep it set up in the garage for 3-4 months to ensure no leaks/catastrophes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store