Geophagus breeding questions

KiiNGGiiNGER

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2013
Marietta, Ohio
I have had a pair of Geophagus Surinamensis for over a year now and am fairly certain that I have a male and a female considering the male has about 1.5 inch longer tips on his fins than the presumed female. I was wondering what is recomended to help start these guys breeding, ive never seen much breeding behavior but would definitely like to try. Should i have more than two to help or any other environmental changes I can make to help push them along? They are currently in a half planted half hardscape 220. Any info appreciated.

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
I've had some tapajos breed quite often for me, have never done anything special. I started with more than two though. I've heard from people more experienced than me that having other fish with them can help cement any pair bond by being challenged all the time. I'm assuming in a 220 you have more than just them though. Otherwise good diet and good water I suppose, that's all I've ever done

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
Large water changes. Often breeding is sparked by heavy rains/rainy season in the wild. 50% water changes of slightly cooler water might be the ticket.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store