box filters (corner filters)

mchambers527

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2015
Long Island,N.Y
Anyone use them, my store has them in every tank. I think they make alot of sense and i dont know why they aren't popular anymore. What do you guys think?

1eyedbicher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2013
west
I have been thinking about running a couple just for extra filtration..You can stuff them with all kinds a good stuff.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
They are awesome. I have lots of them. On smaller tanks like 20gal or so they cant be beat. Floss polishes water beautifully. They run circles around tiny little HOB power filters. Air lifts move a surprising amount of water. A box filter with biomax and floss will outperform almost any economy filter for a small tank.

They went by the way side because they are ugly, but more importantly they last forever. They cost nothing to buy or mantain. Nobody can sell you custom overpriced media or cartridges. The industry is driven by bells and whistles, local shops know whats up.. and choose to maximize profits, reduce overhead, while providing adequate filtration for dozens of tanks, with little effort for maintenance.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

kiupuriash

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
paramount
Use them all the time... i have 20 im storage i picked up from a fellow for 1.50 a piece. I hace one in most my tanks, smaller tanks tho.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Hmm. I would like to give a few of these a shot for my grow outs... Any brand recommendations?

kiupuriash

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
paramount
Lee's are the ones i find at my lfs, but theres a couple brands.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Last time i used one was in the 80s. They are a great little filter, so are simple in tank sponge filters.

they went by the wayside with the introduction of HOBs and canisters etc.

If properly maintained, i see no reason why they wouldn't work for a properly stocked, sensibly fed aquarium.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store