Fish ID

robham7770

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2014
mobile
Hey everyone, I got these guys as black stripe(crenicichla strigata), but would like some confirmation. I have had them for a while, and they eat well, but I can't see them getting 16". It is quite possible I did something wrong, and stunted these guys. They get cichlid flake, hikari sinking, blood worms, and a few treats.

[video=youtube;s58n_BxS558]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s58n_BxS558&x-yt-cl=85027636&x-yt-ts=1422503916&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
They're vennies for sure and nice looking ones at that.
True Strigata are very very rare in the hobby
I personally haven't seen any top 16 inches but MTN pike here said they had one that was huge it's tail fin alone they reported was 6 inches long so pike was probably in the 20 inch range... Vennies can get large just no one keeps them for long enough I believe

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

robham7770

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2014
mobile
How fast should they grow, if they are Venezuela pikes, and what would be the normal size range for a tank raised fish? Any info is helpful, I am trying to decide whether or not to keep them.

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
How fast should they grow, if they are Venezuela pikes, and what would be the normal size range for a tank raised fish? Any info is helpful, I am trying to decide whether or not to keep them.
Around a inch a month if u feed them well till they hit a foot then they slow down a lot . They are vennies... Realistically idk how large they'll get but I'd keep them you have a nice pack of em haven't seen any top 16 inches

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TheSinisterSOB

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
A little place called C At Hell
Vennies are susceptible to HITH.

Keep your water clean (1 - 2 x/week WC w/ live plants "pothos") and their diet varied with a staple of pellets, and you should have some beauties there.

You'll probably need an 8' tank to house them long term, along with 4-6 dithers (red hooks or other large growing SD's would be my suggestion) or a couple large predatory punching bags to help handle some of the aggression you'll come to see with those lugubris pike.

Good luck!

robham7770

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2014
mobile
Vennies are susceptible to HITH.

Keep your water clean (1 - 2 x/week WC w/ live plants "pothos") and their diet varied with a staple of pellets, and you should have some beauties there.

You'll probably need an 8' tank to house them long term, along with 4-6 dithers (red hooks or other large growing SD's would be my suggestion) or a couple large predatory punching bags to help handle some of the aggression you'll come to see with those lugubris pike.

Good luck!
It seems like the consensus is vennies, and I appreciate all the feed back. I do have some SD that I was going to rehome to the lfs, but if anyone thinks they can survive the Pikes, I might give that a shot. Long term, I am not sure. I have a decent size Dovii in a 6' right now, who needs a bigger tank (I don't think he will ever have friends), but I have been dieing to do an indoor pond for a while now.

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
I've had a couple come in as trades when I worked at the LFS a long time ago. None were 16" , but they were 12-13", probably 14". Most had HITH. I think they were 3-4 years old. I saw pictures of them when small. Usually pretty mean also. I remember that one was just remarkably colored also. Very bright.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store