Attaching plants to wood

GreenTerror7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2011
So cal/ LAX
This is my first tank with plants and I have no idea what I'm doing but i like the way planted tanks look so i gave it a shot. Filtration is a marineland penguin 200, water is kept at a constant 79 degrees, Lighting is just some basic fluorescent light I had, Gravel is just the basic petco gravel (I don't think it matters since the plants are on wood) and the stock is 7 two inch green terrors and a 4 inch speckled pike. The tank is a 20x20x20 cube.

I have Some java moss, java fern and a piece of anubias (no idea what kind) and they are placed into little crevices in the wood to allow the roots to settle in. The java fern is tied down against the wood and is attaching quickly and well. The java fern and anubias have been in the same little crevices for about 2 months now and I can see that they still have not rooted, if I poke them around with my finger I can tell they aren't really settled into place. I add some tetra "fertilizer" every month, the kind that you squirt straight into the tank (not sure if its any good, seems like it hasn't done much). So basically I want to know how long until they will root? What I can do to make the plants grow faster and healthier without harming the fish? And what other plants I can add that will grow in gravel.

I will post a full tank shot soon.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
I've had trouble getting rhizomatous plants started on driftwood as well. The best thing to do is generally just to make sure they are secured in position (sometimes it's necessary to tie them in place, if they get moved a lot), and then to leave them alone. I've heard a lot of people claim that it only takes a few weeks, but my experience has been more like several months. By the time my Anubias nana had finally rooted into my driftwood, I had long since forgotten about it. The only success I ever had with java fern was when I just gave up on it and let it float around the tank freely. As soon as I try to attach it to something, it just drops all its leaves and becomes dormant, so I can't really offer much advice with that.

If you want to speed up plant growth, you can invest in a higher output lighting fixture and a CO2 system, but that's going to cost you some significant money (pressurized CO2 setups generally start around $80-100, though they don't cost much to maintain after that). As a sort of alternative to injecting CO2, you could use a liquid carbon source like Seachem Flourish Excel, or API CO2 Booster, but the main ingredient in these products is glutaraldehyde, to which certain plants are very sensitive, so just do some research on it before going that route. It isn't nearly as effective as pressurized CO2 injection, but I did see a noticeable difference when I used CO2 Booster, vs. no added carbon.

As for other plants to grow, that will depend on whether or not you decide to upgrade your lighting and add CO2. With your current setup, you'll probably be restricted to low-light species like Cryptocoryne, Bacopa, Rotala rotundifolia, Hygrophila, etc. With high light and CO2, there is an immense variety of plants you could keep.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store