180 Gallon Filtration

TonysMonsterFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2014
New York
I currently house 24 monsters in my 180 gallon tank. New world cichlids mostly along with two Arowanas. Everybody eats dry thankfully. Im currently using an fx5 and a Marineland C-530 canister filter. The tank is pretty clear most of the time. Along with this heavy filtration how often should water changes take place? I usually do once every 2 weeks about 25%. Does anyone else have similar filtration? If so how often do you do your water changes.

Thanks, Tony

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
With that stock IMO you should be doing 50% Evey 2 days, 180 is not big enough for a arowana

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy

Water change has nothing to do with filtration, but everything to do with How much food goes into the tank.

While nitrate levels are only surrogates for water pollution, I still suggest you measure them and monitor them, they will indicate what your water change regimen has to be. Alternatively, and more precisely, you could measure conductivity.

This much up front: you'll be surprised...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I currently house 24 monsters in my 180 gallon tank. New world cichlids mostly along with two Arowanas. Everybody eats dry thankfully. Im currently using an fx5 and a Marineland C-530 canister filter. The tank is pretty clear most of the time. Along with this heavy filtration how often should water changes take place? I usually do once every 2 weeks about 25%. Does anyone else have similar filtration? If so how often do you do your water changes.

Thanks, Tony
To better answer your question, we would need to know the sizes of these monsters? 26 3" fish produces a lot less waste than 26 6" fish.

TonysMonsterFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2014
New York
The smallest fish I have in the tank are 2 Raphael catfish and they are about 4inch. Otherwise my biggest would have to be my 2 Arowanas that are over 12in. , Tiger oscar and my hybrid shovel nose/red tail cat
.FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_5511.JPGIMG_5520.JPG FullSizeRender 2.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_5511.JPG

IMG_5520.JPG

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

IMG_5521.JPG

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Good looking tank!

However, I would definitely recommend increasing your w/c significantly. At least 50% every week. I personally do 50% every 4 days. Seems like you're doing a good job thus far, so increasing the w/c will definitely better your chance of preventing health issues later on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store