Tap Water Filter Recommendation

Razor7Music

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2008
Irvine, CA
www.myspace.com
Hello All--

I guess the site was down yesterday for maintenance--I was having withdrawals! :cry:

Hey, I've got a 60 gal Tang tank and my stock is really starting to add up in value. Both because I care about my fish, but also because they're expensive. I already bought a generator in case the power goes out (again).

I'm thinking about protecting my investments even more by filtering the tap water before putting it in the tank. I see that API sells/sold one, but I can't find anywhere to buy one. The retailers in my area say it's discontinued.

I've tried other sites and no one seems to make one.

I'd like to know if anyone here uses a tap water filter on their freshwater before they add the water to the tank, and what they use?

Thank you,

rotaryblake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2013
Red Deer
I've always used single stage filters with carbon cartridges, nothing fancy but it will eliminate most of the chlorine and sediments. It take a little bit to get them hooked up but they are relatively inexpensive and you can usually pick them up at your local hardware store.

Some people go all out and spend hundreds of dollars on filtering there water but for most applications it is not needed.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I think water filtration is a topic best left to people with relavent educational background and work experience. It's complicated, it's overrun with marketing slang and misleading claims by manufacturers, and it's not much fun to research. I would recommend you go to http://www.thefilterguys.biz/ and tell them your story, at least if you're starting out. See what they send you, see how it works and what it costs you in time and money to operate and maintain, then branch out from there. There's just so much to it, and so many options.

You could filter chloramine/chlorine for a drip.
You could do a full R/O system and then replace minerals and buffers.
Of course, you'll need test kits. What will you test?
Hope you like plumbing projects :)

Razor7Music

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2008
Irvine, CA
www.myspace.com
Both are great ideas. I like saving money, and I'm pretty good at putting things together, but as far as inventing my own rig, not so much.

If anyone has a diagram, instructions on how to put one together, that would be awesome.

I should say the tap in my area is pretty good, but I'd like to keep what I put in a little closer to the quality of what's already in the tank--less stressful on the fish, less risk too.

On the other hand, I like the idea of getting a pro to make a recommendation. Buy nice or buy twice--right?

Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

paopanlilio

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
makati
just get a huge water container and age your water for your water change, a water filter isnt that necessary unless you're planning on a continuous drip system

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store