FX5 vs 2 aquaclear 110 vs 2 emperor 500

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I know this is unconventional but I am actually thinking of moving from my fx5 to 2 aquarclear 110s or 2 emperor 400s. My setup is a 75gal w/10in rhom. The FX5 is great from a filtration stand point but it is such a pain to open and clean. I also feed my rhom once a week and he poops a ton. The blue filter pad just clogs so quickly. Thoughts on moving from just an ease of maintenance?

I just dont want to be opening up the cannister every month. It also pisses me off how the fasteners that hold the lid keep cracking. I was thinking of adding a aquaclear for pure mechanical but thought the FX5 would still get loaded with poop.

I've always wondered why Canisters simply don't have a sponge pre-filter on the intake? Wouldn't it be simple to slean that sponge, keeping the inside of the canister clean? I guess it wouldn't look very nice. Maybe you could try that?

The emperors and great and so are the aquaclears. I have and run both.

I would do this - one of each, or 2 AC110s.

But I would recommend adding a hydor koriallia or other such internal powerhead to create some flow, pointed at the surface.

So i'd recommend replacing the FX5 with 1 AC 110 and 1 Emperor 400 or 2 AC110s.

But you'll need to add s powerhead for sure in my opinion if you add an Emperor, not enough flow otherwise.

administrator

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2011
I use to like emperor 400 but the newer ones are not what they use to be. Can't go wrong with AC110. Very versatile. Good luck.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
You could always run an inexpensive HOB or pair of HOB filters in conjunction with the FX

I run a pair of cheapo $35 whisper 60's with my fluval 406. They dont do much in the way of bio filtration, but it doesn't get much easier to clean than a cartridge HOB. and whisper has probably the cheapest cartridges on the market. the extra mechanical filtration has cut down my maintenance on the canister considerably. The last couple times in cleaned it, there was alot less waste packed in there. The emerpor 400 would fit the bill too

Just a thought.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
Got a AC110 day after all the parsing on this site, so far quite impressed. I think two would be great for your tank.

Seems a powerhead would be required too, I am testing it against an otto 2000 internal and the hob hardly moves any settlement on the base, I aimed the eheim canister output on the floor and works great now but you defiantly would want some extra flow imo.

ExoticGREEN

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2010
$0uth3rn C@l1f0rn!@
You could always run an inexpensive HOB or pair of HOB filters in conjunction with the FX

I run a pair of cheapo $35 whisper 60's with my fluval 406. They dont do much in the way of bio filtration, but it doesn't get much easier to clean than a cartridge HOB. and whisper has probably the cheapest cartridges on the market. the extra mechanical filtration has cut down my maintenance on the canister considerably. The last couple times in cleaned it, there was alot less waste packed in there. The emerpor 400 would fit the bill too

Just a thought.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
tetra filters are a pce of **** Never again ill buy HOB from them or any other tetra product. once they get little banged up. garbage.

IMO Ac110's are the best. Even though my water sucks LOL. but FX5 and 2 ac110s. if you run them on your tank. get your moneys worth out of them

Adam Sabz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I replaced two marineland c-360 canisters with two ac110's and I couldn't be happier. So much less maintenance and they do a much better job cleaning as well. You won't regret it

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I was running 2 emperor 400s on my 75 gal before I moved to the FX5. I was using the emperors for about 12 years without any problems, but decided to try out the FX5 when I bought a new tank. I really like the FX5 but the maintenance is just a pain. Maybe I will try running one emperor or AC110 w/FX5 to see how that helps with build of gunk. I am actually not worried about flow because I also have a korlia 1400 on the tank.

If I add a AC100, do I need to keep the blue filter pad in the FX5 or can I remove it?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I have an fx6 in conjunction with an ac110 on my 150. I filled all the trays in the fx with bio and only use the big pads go on the sides. The ac is set up with the foam block, floss, purigen and finally a cut to size foam block to hold it all together

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store