Senegal Bichir with Oscars

Wolfe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2014
Utah, USA
I went to petsmart today and noticed that they had some 2" Senegal Bichirs. Needless to say, I'm very tempted to get a couple of them. Would they be fine with my six Oscars? The Oscars are all about 1.5-2" and the tank is currently a 40 gallon breeder. And what would bichirs this small eat?

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
They'd eat mainly bloodworms, brine shrimp and cut up pellets. You should be fine by means of size comparison, but I'd definitely try and bulk them up as soon as you get them in the same tank with the oscars. Also what size tank will you be upgrading to in the near future? That will also determine how many you can get.

Wolfe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2014
Utah, USA
I'll likely be upgrading to a 75 gallon, then a large stock tank, which I'm still not sure about the gallonage. If I do get some, I think I'll quarentine them in a 10 gallon or something similar to be sure their eating and to bulk them up a little before introducing them into the 40 breeder.

Wolfe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2014
Utah, USA
Yes, it currently houses my female Red Eared Slider, but she'll be upgraded to our empty 150 in a few months time.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
So how many bichirs are you looking to get exactly? Depending on what you upgrade to after the 75 I might suggest keeping them in the 75g or depending on how many you get even the 40B

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
The oscars will outgrow the 2" sens VERY quickly. Not a good idea IMO. If the sens were adults, then it would be a different story. Oscars gonna see them 2"ers as food in a couple of months.

Wolfe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2014
Utah, USA
Just two, but if there are only three in the tank then I'll get it as well. I always feel bad if one fish gets left behind.

Wolfe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2014
Utah, USA
The oscars will outgrow the 2" sens VERY quickly. Not a good idea IMO. If the sens were adults, then it would be a different story. Oscars gonna see them 2"ers as food in a couple of months.
I have an empty 55 gallon in storage if it comes to that. I think I'm gonna try to keep them with my Oscars, and seperate them into the 55 if/when the Oscars see them as food.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
In that size of a tank you should be able to fit 2-3 perfectly fine in there. I would probably bulk them up to 3"-4" in the 10g or at least until they get some decent girth. Then I would upgrade them to the 40B with or without the oscars. From there I would basically just use your judgment on when to upgrade them. As long as it is well furnished with plants and driftwood (fake or real), filtered good, and fed well, they should spend a good amount of time in the 40B. If you only get 2 you could probably keep them in the 40B depending on how big they are in a couple years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store