yellowhead eel

savannah_az

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
az
Toying with the idea of getting back into salt and setting up a tank for a lone yellow head moray. Anyone want to throw out some ideas on a cheap (yes i remember salt is never cheap in the end) life support system? Quick and painless is best. Not to sure of the tank size either, like i said it will be for the eel and nothing else.

savannah_az

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
az
any point in setting up a closed loop? any way of getting by with bare bottom? or is sand a must?

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Pvc pipe with bare bottom is what I use in my qt tanks. My ocd makes me do daily 25% water changes to vacuum the bottom debris.
I like sand for aesthetics of a display.
Craigslist is a good place to buy full setups for cheap. I got a 65 gallon with a sump, skimmer, filter socks, a light fixture, and 35 lbs or so of live rock for $300.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Sand isnt a must for morays. My old fimbriated moray would clear out all the sand from under his favorite hiding spots. It does help with visual appeal and beneficial bacteria, but lots of liverock should do the trick anyway. Just keep lots of hiding places and some pvc or something. The yellowhead/yellow devil (fimbriated moray) has been one of my favorites for years. If i ever go the salt route again i would love another one.

savannah_az

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
az
I could care less about aesthetics at this point lol he's going in the office and nobodies in there but me. I came across a drilled tank so what i was debating is a closed loop since its drilled maybe with a canister (yes i know minimal flow) and then add an overflow to sump pack it full of rock and a skimmer and call it good. Obviously hiding spots but I'm ok with stacks of pvc and I'm assuming ill need at least one powerhead to move some water thru the pvc so it doesn't get to gross in there.

savannah_az

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
az
what would be the minimum footprint one of these guys would need? about how many caves do you usually supply?

savannah_az

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
az
Sand isnt a must for morays. My old fimbriated moray would clear out all the sand from under his favorite hiding spots. It does help with visual appeal and beneficial bacteria, but lots of liverock should do the trick anyway. Just keep lots of hiding places and some pvc or something. The yellowhead/yellow devil (fimbriated moray) has been one of my favorites for years. If i ever go the salt route again i would love another one.
not to concerned with bb. my filtration plan so far is to run an overflow straight from the tank to the basement and just buy one of those water tanks and just pack it with rock. I figured a skimmer might not be a bad idea but if i have enough rock wonder if its really necessary?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store