Pretty sure our endli's just spawned!

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
So while feeding silver sides to our grow out tank I noticed these all over and it seemed more were coming from under a hiding tube as the fish made a commotion.

Female endli next to egg clump

Hikari cichlid gold pellet for comparison

Tank inhabitants:

• TT eel
  • 3 p. endli (2m, 1f)
  • P. Palmas polli (m)
  • P. Ornate (f)
  • 2 Indonesian Datnoids
  • Oscar
  • Warmouth
  • Bluegill
  • Green sunfish (m)

I have since moved the eggs to the 75g refugium of our 300g to see if they are fertilized or not. From my research, fertilized eggs will turn black within 24 hours while unfertilized will stay white. Guess we can only wait and see what happens as this literally happened like 2 hours ago.

Loubard

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 17, 2005
EU
Hey, I don't want to sound to skeptical but I have to ask for more information since breeding endlicheri's is rare, certainly when it happens by chance. You mention grow out tank, any more information on the endlicheri's? Age, size, any previous observations of cupping of the anal fins or spooning?

My first impression is that these are eggs from the silversides, but I hope I am wrong!

Burbotman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
Hey, I don't want to sound to skeptical but I have to ask for more information since breeding endlicheri's is rare, certainly when it happens by chance. You mention grow out tank, any more information on the endlicheri's? Age, size, any previous observations of cupping of the anal fins or spooning?

My first impression is that these are eggs from the silversides, but I hope I am wrong!
I suspect the same, I feed smelt and some batches are bad for eggs. If i do not remove the egg sack my tank looks like what you are seeing

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes

Ok so it's honestly probably just as likely these are smelt eggs. BUT I have seen spawning actions from the males. Nudging the female, cupping of the anal fin. Especially when next to the female.

By grow out I mean grow out to bigger than 16" to not be pushed around by our 17" channel catfish.

I'm not sure the age, though their growth has been stunted from a previous owner. I've had them about a year. They're all 12"+.

Like I said, just as likely they're smelt eggs, but I'm open for being pleasantly surprised too. :)

Sent from my 831C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
ah. i was hoping your endlis spawned. let us know if anything happens with those eggs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store