suggestions for 75 gallon mixed species mbuna tank

Sloggy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2010
Ellensburg, WA
I have recently acquired a 75 gallon mbuna tank with a colony of auroras and saulosi. There are a couple synodontis petricola also. I am interested in ideas for adding to the mix. my focus would be moderate to less aggressive species. and species with colorful females. my total fish count is 18 adults/sub adults. I have a robust wet/dry sump.
thanks

jordanlewis100

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2006
Kent,UK
Hi maingano are nice as are neon spot I keep both alongside saulosi,yellow labs and others they're not that aggressive I also have afra "jalo reef" they're quite feisty around their cave though lol

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
How about Socolofi they come in powder blue or albino form and they tend to be nice and peaceful.

as do Acei, they are purple and yellow and swim in the open water a lot more like haps. you have some nice options, I'm also working out the stock for a 75g so I'm interested to see what you decide

jordanlewis100

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2006
Kent,UK
How long is your tank? I ask because some of my Acei are around the 6" size and pretty active nice peaceful fish though and I agree about Socolofi I keep these too

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
I'd just do the two species. Auroras have a rep for being aggressive so 1m:7+f. Saulosi I'd want to try for multiple males to get the blue bars so I'd do 3m:9+f. That's a good number for a 75G IME.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
If you are dead set on keeping the species you have, I would concur with DJ.

Personally I'm a great believer in less = more with mbuna set ups, so if it was me I'd make it a saulosi species tank, which would allow you to have 4-6 males in full dress most/all of the time, and some very colorful females.

Sloggy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2010
Ellensburg, WA
Thanks for the suggestions so far! The tank is 48" Long. I am considering removing the Auroras to lower the overall aggression and provide room.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
So how many saulosi do you have? There have been some good suggestions, are you interested in a certain fish?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store