I'm a little confused.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
I often see people making threads about Fly River Turtles / Pignose Turtles. These turtles are threadened, and illegal to export from their native country, so instead of trying to aquire one, shouldnt we as hobbyist try and put a stop to it?
I keep fish because i respect nature, and want to create an enviroment for these facinating creatures, but as said i respect nature first, and i wouldnt knowingly buy a reptile or fish that was threadened and illegaly exported.
If their wasnt a market for them, people wouldnt be catching them and exporting them. Im not calling any names or angry at anyone, just confused. If people didnt buy them, they wouldnt be as threadened. From my understanding their mainly threadened because of the reptile trade.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Aren't they only protected in like Indonesia?

Believe me...if you can buy/own them in the US...they are far from illegal...

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
[QUOTE=predatorkeeper87;7087284]Aren't they only protected in like Indonesia?

Believe me...if you can buy/own them in the US...they are far from illegal...[/QUOTE]

Its not the illegal part, they are only protected in their native range, but its buying and animal that has been smuggled out illegally, and is very threadened. Your endorsing the smugglers. Again if there wasnt any market for them, they wouldnt be caught and smuggled.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
In USA their only legal if they where there before ban in 1994 i think.
But its just in general, not only USA.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
And again,aren't they only protected in Indonesia? Are they not also found in Australia as well?

I wouldn't even want to imagine the decimating amounts of cichlids or other fish species smuggled out of their native ranges. No one but the hardcore conservationalists are going to bat an eye at that since they aren't deemed protected. Face it...with any hobby comes the presence of those looking to capitalize...morally or imorally, legally or illegally.

You might as well quit the fish keeping hobby if you are that against the smuggling and black market aspects...and while I certainly don't endorse the act,they are present everywhere, and I'm certainly not giving up my hobby because of it.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Well that's no guarantee.
alright now you know what I mean...I'm not saying the aren't illegal species all over the US...I'm saying if I can LEGALLY purchase one without the fear of federal sanctions..

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
And again,aren't they only protected in Indonesia? Are they not also found in Australia as well?

I wouldn't even want to imagine the decimating amounts of cichlids or other fish species smuggled out of their native ranges. No one but the hardcore conservationalists are going to bat an eye at that since they aren't deemed protected. Face it...with any hobby comes the presence of those looking to capitalize...morally or imorally, legally or illegally.

You might as well quit the fish keeping hobby if you are that against the smuggling and black market aspects...and while I certainly don't endorse the act,they are present everywhere, and I'm certainly not giving up my hobby because of it.
I dont get it.
Helping create a market for such an endangered turtle, by buying one would go against my morals big time, no matter if its legal or not.
I think fish are facinating creatures, Many species are being captive bred, and im not against wild caught either, i am how ever against critically endangered ones.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
It's true. Fishkeeping is no different. There are still many species that are being harvested that really shouldn't such as wild-caught roseline sharks (from some locales) and banggai cardinalfish. However, humans don't realize our impact until it becomes an issue. Then we start thinking about sustainability. Now you have the University of Florida trying to breed roselines and ORA trying to breed banggais. The same thing happened with celestial pearl danios and now nobody sells wild ones. Maybe one day the fly river turtle breeding program will catch up to the demand.

It's the demand for an unobtainable animal that drives us to reproduce them in captivity.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
In USA their only legal if they where there before ban in 1994 i think.
But its just in general, not only USA.
I stand very much corrected, as it seems they cannot be exported from their habitat...but yet they are not illegal...its one of those gray area deals. My apologies I know alot of people who own/have bought them and I never thought they were such a hot topic...as people have them all over the place here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store