Will this be wide enough?

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Hey guys
I'm upgrading my 120 so my marble has more room to grow and I'm able to get hime some females.
I was looking at an 8', by 2', by 2' 240. This tank is perfect for the space I was going to put it in (length wise) and thankfully, is only 2' tall since I'm 5'4". The only issue is the width. Would 2' be wide enough for a full grown female marble motoro? I know the smaller male should be fine but I wanted to make sure a female wouldnt be too cramped. They'd have to be fine until I go to colledge (5 years). I wont be keeping any other large fish in this tank so the female marbles are the only ones I'm worried about.
Thanks

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
ive had a few female that were just under 2' disc.
i just sold one that was around 20" disc.

people used to say 6x2x2 was find for any ray but that was a long time ago.

i think the best idea is to find out what size the parents were. i have several female marbles now that are under 12" but i know the size of the mother and expected them to be small.
if you dont know the size of the parents then i would say go with 30" wide tank.

hope it helps.

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
Agreed that 2' wide is enough if you get a ray from smaller parents. If you are just keeping a pair they will last many years in that size tank. Just do not go crazy and switch to a larger species because then you will be in trouble. Also feed once a day and they will not grow as fast. I have a 5 year old pair of female marbles that I have to stretch to get a 13" measurement on them. I have got 3 litters out of the two.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Thanks for the suggestions guys
I think I'll pickup the 240 once I sell my fishroom
Do any of you guys know anyone here selling marbles from little parents?
Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store