Garra rufa Tank Design

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey guys, bought a few new fish at my gpasi meeting last night. One of which was a 3.5-4" Garra rufa (aka Doctor Fish), these are the ones that you see people use to eat dead skin if them (though I feel this is because they starve the fish so they'll eat the skin). I bought it because it's a rather cool Cyprinid and not for its stereotypical purpose. I now have it in a 5.5 gallon (16"x8"x10") by itself with pool filter sand for substrate, a half dozen river rocks scattered around the tank, a plastic plant, and a sponge filter. Hasn't eaten yet but it's a minnow and I'm sure it will eat whatever I give it in time, especially if they will resort to eating dead skin.

Anyway, i think this is a very cool fish and I'm interested in making this 5.5 gallon a biotope based on where this fish lives in the wild. I was under the impression that they were fast-water asian stream fish but upon further research it seems that they're from slower to moderate moving waters in the Middle East. To quote fishbase, there range is: "Eurasia: In the Jordan, Orontes, and Tigris-Euphrates river basins. Also in some coastal rivers in southern Turkey and northern Syria". And their habitat is: "Found in different habitats such as rivers, lakes, small ponds, and small muddy streams. Hides under and among stones and vegetation. Bottom dweller, feeding on aufwuchs. Said to also occur in hot ponds where they feed on the skin scales of bathers, reducing illnesses such as neurodermitis".

Fishbase also says they thrive at a temperature range of 59-82 and I assume they're pretty adaptable as far as pH goes. The current tank temperature is 64-66 with a pH of 7.6

That said, I'd appreciate it if some of you guys could help me theme a biotope around this fish (substrate, decor, flow, vegetation, etc) and tank as I'm not overly familiar with middle-eastern fish.

Thanks!

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Little guy almost kicked it! I was reading a book and he jumped up into the egg crate lid and wiggled his way out through one of the holes in it and out on to the floor! I put some press and seal on top of most of the egg crate and just left a little crack for atmospheric exchange in hopes to prevent that from happening again.

PUHUCBLMX2

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2013
Costa Rica
sorry i can't help you with a set up, but I have a feeling this fish will be one of the hardiest you will own. I have a feeling they can take just about anything and be happy. I understand that your plan to set up a biotope has as much to do with esthetics as with comfort. That said I had the impression they were communal. However, I have no evidence other than seeing them interact in the pools. They might have been crowding together only because the pool was devoid of any cover. good luck.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Ok, I really need to get a glass lid. I left for school this morning and he was fine. Came home, he's motionless, dried up on the floor with no signs of life. Put him in the tank and 15 minutes later he's ok just breathing heavy. As I'm typing this he's trying to jump out again!!!

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I see these for sale in every single LFS, even petsmart has them here. I had no idea they weren`t common.
From what I know about them they can be really mean and territorial to other fish when they are fully grown. but they are very good algae eaters and do well with cichlids and other hardier more sturdy species.

They are widely spread throughout their range so just about anything you can think of would be a natural set up. try looking up indian biotopes as I have a feeling that would be a nice representation of their native river systems

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store