Trio of P Hystrix settling in

rudy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
calgary
The tanks is still cloudy as I added some sand...then some gravel mixed into the sand. I cannot believe how much these rays move sand. Unlike any ray I have owned. Not as active as in swimming around all day up and down walls but instead they are constantly pushing and blowing sand and gravel out of their gills. Very different personality of any ray I have owned and love them so far. (just wish they would get all the dust out of the sand) as the cloudiness drives me insane.

http://s357.photobucket.com/user/tim_kane1/library/?sort=3&page=1

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
They look great! Really like the dark background they have.

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
Very nice group!

The male has a nice contrasting pattern.

Those Rainbows and Angels will slowly reduce in numbers over the coming months for sure, I know you will say the rays show no interest in them, they all say that, but mark my words, trying to keep what are essentially general community fish with adult rays always ends the same way...disaster!
My advice would be to swap them for more suitable fish such as large Geophagus, Satanoperca sp, Heros sp, Uaru sp,true Parrots (Hoplarcus) and maybe some dither fish in the shape of larger silver dollar species, eg Metynnis, Myleus or Mylossoma, nice to stick to a amazonian theme I always think. One of the beauties of owning Hystrix is that the fish mentioned attain sizes great enough to avoid predation, most other species of ray will even take these down.

Just a little friendly advice, not criticism.

All the best with them Rudy.

rudy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
calgary
Hey Aquaman, Thanks for that and I hope I can get one from you one day if shipping to Canada becomes a bit less cumbersome.

No offense on the tank mates. To be totally honest with you I converted the tank from a Australian lung fish set up with rainbows angels and discus.

When I sold the Discus the person was going to also take the rainbows as well. After fishing for over an hour I got all the discus and not ONE rainbow so I told the buyer they were staying based on my time vs. the price I was going to get for the rainbows. I figure if they wanted to stay in there that bad they can take their chances!

The rainbows I was hoping were true altums but have turned out since to be Peruvian Altums so I am deciding what to do with those.

I will eventually change out the tank mates so thanks for the suggestions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store