Cloudy eyes

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
I've been meaning to ask this for sometime but never got round to it.

My three WC Hystrix all have kinda cloudy looking eyes.

They've been like this for months, rays are all growing, feeding etc just fine.

Water quality is very good and constant ph etc.
Daily water changes of 40-50%.

More of an observation than a concern (I hope).

What's caused me to finally put up a thread is my new pups from Awuaman have perfectly clear eyes. Anyone else have this going on or can shed any light? Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rudy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
calgary
Mine are exactly like that. That is actually one of the traits I love about these rays. Beady little eyes. Those are amazing patterned Hystrix

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
Cloudy eye is usually caused by bad water over a period of time. Second cause could be bacterial. Yours do not look that bad. I would just continue with good clean water and do not miss any tank maintenance. If it gets worse than it is or if it turns bloody please let us know asap. Try to add some salt for a period of time to see if it helps. Add 1 lb per 100 gallon

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
I wish I knew the cause of this as well.
I've kept several different species of Rays and my hysterix I had for 3-4 years all had cloudy eyes like yours. What's weird is none of my other Rays have ever had that.
My hystrix seemed healthy the whole time. I had a trio all three were like that.

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
I wish I knew the cause of this as well.
I've kept several different species of Rays and my hysterix I had for 3-4 years all had cloudy eyes like yours. What's weird is none of my other Rays have ever had that.
My hystrix seemed healthy the whole time. I had a trio all three were like that.

Very interesting. Perhaps it's a trait of Hystrix then if none of your other rays had the issue. I'll be watching my new pups to see if they develop it.

Were your Hystrix WC?

Anyone like to chip in if its noticed on only WC specimens over CB?

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
Mine are exactly like that. That is actually one of the traits I love about these rays. Beady little eyes. Those are amazing patterned Hystrix
Thanks very much, I'm really pleased with how their markings have developed so much over time, especially the male.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Very interesting. Perhaps it's a trait of Hystrix then if none of your other rays had the issue. I'll be watching my new pups to see if they develop it.

Were your Hystrix WC?

Anyone like to chip in if its noticed on only WC specimens over CB?

None of my hystrix, wc or cb, have cloudy eye's. I have really soft water and wonder if that has anything to do with cloudy eyes?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store